NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Categories

Solved!
Go to solution

Is it possible to define additional Categories/Sections for NI Packages? Or are we limited to current set? From looking at the Control File Attributes, it does not appear to be limited. I know the NI Package Build Specification does not allow you to type something else, but does show what string is stored in <Property Name="PKG_section" Type="Str"> of the project file. We are looking to define and help speed up users ability to find the package they are looking for internally.

Current NI Package Categories/Sections

2019-07-08_14h18_38.png

Message 1 of 4
(2,562 Views)

Hi Bill,

Currently users are limited to the current set of sections for packages. If it's something you think would be helpful, I'd recommend posting it to the Idea Exchange!

Best,

Lindsey Nestor
Program Manager, Hardware Services
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,460 Views)

I have posted the idea here.

Allow additional Categories/Sections for NI Packages

Message 3 of 4
(2,421 Views)
Solution
Accepted by CL_eisenwr

Hi Bill,

As you alluded to in your original post, the Section attribute is technically just a string. However, our package building tools (e.g. LabVIEW's Package build specification, NI Package Builder, etc.) currently expose a discrete list of options to choose from for this attribute.

That being said, NIPM will display whatever value it finds in the package's control file. So if you build a package from the CLI using a handmade control file with a custom Section value (or otherwise modify the Section value) then NIPM will show the custom value.

Aaron Peña

Product Owner, Package and License Management

Message 4 of 4
(2,398 Views)