NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i propagate custom step changes into old sequence files?

Hello Everyone,

I knew, this question was already asked but i didn't find any optimal solution.

I have created a custom step and used this step into sequence & saved it. At this point everything is fine, and the sequence executes as expected. Then I closed the sequence.

So Now i have made some changes to custom step (eg  icon changes, add comment or add default additional result) and save it so it has new build version number.

When I loaded the original test sequence, I was prompted on which definition of the step type I wanted to use. I picked the currently loaded type from the Type Palette. I am expecting that sequence is updated with new custom step but it's not.it has not updated new icon, comment and additional result that i edited. Only build version number changed.

is there any solution to update old sequence file with new custom step?

Thanks in advance.

Kuddo welcomed
CLAD-CTD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,903 Views)

I'm sure you've seen the checkbox for Apply Changes in this Dialog Box to all Loaded Steps of this Type by now.  As the name states the steps have to be loaded.  You can load all the sequences with the steps in them and change the type with this checked and see if that propagates.

The problem is that when you create a type definition there are certain properties that can be modified in the instances of that type.  I think it is safer for NI to error on the side of caution in this case and not try to push a bunch of those properties back to the default for the type.  So the real question is - which properties should be forced by the type and which ones can be edited?  Because essentially what you are asking for is a magic button that will push all instances of a data type back to the defaults as they currently stand.  Like I mentioned in the first paragraph the closest I've seen to this is that checkbox.  I've tested it out and it works.  You may have to change the setting/s to something else first and then back to what you want.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,872 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

I'm sure you've seen the checkbox for Apply Changes in this Dialog Box to all Loaded Steps of this Type by now. 

Yes i knew this solution but problem is if you have nearly ~100 or more sequences then user has to open all sequences to upgrade custom step.

in community i read some f the old thread and its since 2005 same problem so i just want to make sure that is there any new method or development or workaround ? so user can easily change custom step.

Kuddo welcomed
CLAD-CTD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,857 Views)