NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Crash

Hi,

I was looping a test seqeunce over the weekend. One of the technicians killed the test seqeunce this morning using the terminate button. On termination they got an error during report generation - during the "get report body (dll)" step and a report failed to generate. Is there anyway I can retrieve this data? Does TestStand store a temporary report file anywhere?

Thanks & Regards,

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,158 Views)

Hi Shane,

Was your test sequence running continously all weekend before it was terminated?

Was you using On the Fly?

A temp file is generated and would be in the same location as you actual report but I doubt if its got much in it, probably just the header information.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,150 Views)

Hi,

unfortunately I was not using on the fly reporting..

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,148 Views)

Hi,

If you have long runtime and generate large reports, then its best to use some form of on the fly reporting, either the built-in one or your own, because the normal report generation doesn't built the report until the test execution has finished. If your test sequence crashes, probably due to lack of computer resource left, you lost everything of that run.

regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,146 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the adivce I will know for again.

Regards,

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,143 Views)

Shane -

Just to add to what Ray mentioned, for tests that will be running for multiple hours, days, or even weeks, it's highly recommended that you use the On-The-Fly Reporting option located in the Contents tab of the Report Options dialog. Some things to note:

Even though you might be using On-The-Fly Reporting, you will still be storing results in memory which will eventually cause the test to crash because the TestStand Process will run out of memory (or the On-The-Fly reporting server will). For this reason, it's also recommended that you check the Conserve Memory and Only Display Latest Results option also located on the Contents tab of the Report Options dialog. Note that this option is only available with the HTML and ASCII report formats.

Finally, when using On-The-Fly Reporting with Conserve Memory and Only Display Latest Results checked to execute tests that will take multiple hours, days, or even weeks, it's also recommended that you check the Discard Results or Disable Results When Not Required by Model option found by navigating to Configure»Model Options.

The help information for On-The-Fly Reporting and Conserve Memory and Only Display Latest Results is located on the Report Options Dialog Box page of the TestStand Online Help. The help information for Discard Results or Disable Results When Not Required by Model is located on the Model Options Dialog Box page of the TestStand Online Help.

Hope this helps!

Manooch H.
National Instruments
Message 6 of 7
(4,117 Views)

Hi Manooch

Thanks for the great advice.

Regards,

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,088 Views)