Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StationGlobals for cumunicate threads

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Is this the best way??

When I have to catch the control of many instruments to do a test.

I create a NEW thread for instrument (This sequence is a state machine.... StationGlobal.Enable for activate the instruction).

In the mainsequence when i have to use an instrument -->StationGlobal.Enable = True ,.... and now i have to wait to the end of the instruction.

To do this, I use in my mainsequence a WHILE StationGlobal.Enable = True ....  Wait........... Is this the best way to syncronize my sequences ????

Thxs !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,784 Views)

I would recommend taking a look at the Synchronization examples in TestStand.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 2010\Examples\Synchronization

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
Message 2 of 8
(3,774 Views)

The TestStand queue and/or notification steps types would probably be a better way to do this.

-Doug

Message 3 of 8
(3,772 Views)

Many thxs for the answers !

I used the same system with labview. Only one aplication (Exe) with one event machine, and 1 state machine for each instrument.. The control of state machines is by queues.

In teststand i think that is the best way,.... But now i have the control of instruments in diferents threads... And i need know when 1 instrument ended his instruction to continue with the main aplication.

Which is the way to say at mainsequence that can continue with next step !

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,767 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oriol.Bofill

Hi,

StationGlobals are not the best way to do this.

You may use a FIFO, just send from your instrument thread a message in a queue/notifier that the required action has been completed!

Regards,

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 5 of 8
(3,749 Views)

Hey ,

Result with Queue /Notification is a good way.

Now I have a new problem using this !!    The control of threads are a state machines... 1 while with a Dequeue expresion... The value of the queue is the instruction to do in the state machine.... At the end of the while there are a StationGlobal.Stop... If the variable is True now the thread stops.

The StationGlobal.Stop changes the value when a user push the stop button in the user interface (LabVIEW) !

How can I say at the state machin /Dequeue Thread that exist a stop event???

Thxs !

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,718 Views)

To do this in dequeue expresion, I've activate the Timeout. Is this the correct way?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,716 Views)

The best way would be to enqueue a stop message (you can use the timeout to check if a variable is set to a particular value too but it's not the best practice (since it works you can use this))

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,714 Views)