From 11:00 PM CDT Friday, May 10 – 02:30 PM CDT Saturday, May 11 (04:00 AM UTC – 07:30 PM UTC), ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test stand string array call in message with dynamic upper bound help

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

So I have a python scrip that returns a tuple list that changes from time to time. Sometimes there is nothing in it sometimes there is up to 5 strings inside. I got container set up correct in teststand I see it populated with my strings.

Now in python I can do MyTupleList[0:] to get the full list, however when I try to do similar in teststand I get errors.

What I am trying to do is have a message popup with text: "The list contains: " + Locas.MyTupleList[0:]

It should then give user the message as The list contains: dog, cat  and so on

I am clearly missing some sort of correct syntax to do MyTupleList[0 to end], is anyone familiar with this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(175 Views)

I am not really familiar with Python, though:

do I understand correctly, that you het the correct Tupel / List / whatever in a TestStand data object? 

So the question comes down to: how can I display all array elements (number of elements dynamic) in a string / message box?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(119 Views)

That is correct. I can list elements of this list by writing in message expression field: "The list contains: " + Locas.MyTupleList[0] + Locas.MyTupleList[1] +  Locas.MyTupleList[2] + Locas.MyTupleList[3] + and so on"

What I am trying to do is just write the message so it would dynamically adjust the upper limit  like Locas.MyTupleList[0 to end].

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(109 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ldznis

Don't think, this is possible using an expression in TestStand, since there are no loops available (to my knowledge)

I recommend (though it seems awkward to a programmer) to assemble the message string using some steps (for loop / for each loop for example) and some statement steps.

Or have your Python module returning the appropriate string.

After all, TestStand is a TestManagement software, not exactly a programming environment

Message 4 of 5
(106 Views)

Understood, thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(101 Views)