NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load TestStand application and no error message after crash

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using TestStand 2020 (32bits) application and I can no longer start the application.

Until now, TestStand was working perfectly. Yesterday, my laptop crashed while testand was running and I had to force restart my laptop. After the restart, I tried to re open TestStand and since this moment, I couldn't open TestStand anymore.

I tried to repair the application using ni package manager -> it didn't work.

I tried to uninstall and install the application again-> it didn't work.

What's weird is that I don't get any error message or popup when I launch the app, just...nothing happens. Looking at task manager, I saw that TestStand app is launched but after about 2s the app gets aborted and disappears from task manager.

TS issue.png

Has anyone ever had this problem? Do you have a solution or a line of investigation ?

Thank you very much for any help with my issue.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,145 Views)

You could take a look at the Windows Events Viewer, specifically Windows Logs>>Application, to see if there are any Error entries related to the TestStand application you are launching. Maybe share the logged details with this thread.

Scott_Richardson_0-1678979860124.png

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,140 Views)

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your answer.

You are right, on the Windows Events Viewer there is a Error message after lauching the application. 

TS issue2.png

TS issue3.png

My laptop is in french. English version is the folowing

"Faulting application name SeqEdit.exe, version: 20.0.0.49180, timestamp: 0x61574e0f
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2364, timestamp: 0xea5711f3
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Error Offset: 0x000e7073
Faulting Process ID: 0x448
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9581b945c27fb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2020\Bin\SeqEdit.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 0ebe57b5-b7b8-4efb-9595-954bc6b65147
Faulting package full name:
Application ID relative to the failing package:"

Do you know what this error means ?  

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,128 Views)

The following post on a Microsoft forum suggests that the exception code 0xc0000374 is STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION (A heap has been corrupted). This suggests that some of the files required for execution might be corrupt. The fact that a uninstall and reinstall did not help suggests that the corrupt file is likely not from TestStand. It could be ntdll.dll itself.

I would start with verifying the integrity of the file system where your OS is installed, then start looking at how you can determine the integrity of some of that the events report.

Hope you can figure it out.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,087 Views)
Solution
Accepted by FLRLA

I finally found how to fix the problem. I uninstalled all NI's packages (LabVIEW, Teststand..) and deleted all folders and files in ProgramData, Programmes, Programmes (x86) from NI.

After that, I reinstall all NI programs, including Teststand.

At the end, Teststand rework properly.

Thank you very much for your answers Scott. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,049 Views)

Glad to hear you got this system working.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,040 Views)

For the benefit of future visitors who find this from a search engine; I fixed this by deleting UISettings.json.

(in my case, found at C:\Program Data\National Instruments\TestStand 2021 (64-bit)\Cfg\UISettings.json)

This file was full of NULLs rather than the required JSON. If not this file, check the other files in the same directory. Deleting the file automatically regenerates it on the next TestStand load, I don't know if this is the case for other files so make a backup.

Message 7 of 7
(93 Views)