cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXI Express - Unable to boot

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am using MXI Express (PXI-8360) to control a PXI-chassis using an external PC.  The setup was working for several months, then all of the sudden I can no longer boot into Windows.  In fact, I cannot even get passed the BIOS.  Both LEDs on the PXI-8360 front panel are solid green.  The PC starts normally when I removed the MXI cable or turn off the PXI chassis.  The problem fits the description of the MXI BIOS compatibility issue described here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/05B7131814A5DDA38625710F006BB098?OpenDocument.

I have tried the followings.  None resolved the issue.

1) Install the MXI board in a different PXI-Express slot.

2) Update the PC BIOS.

3) Put the MXI board into mode 1 by setting the DIP switch.  Install NI MXI-Express BIOS compatibility Software Ver 1.3.  Now the booting process is halted at Windows boot up screen.  I am thinking about going to Safe Mode and uninstall the program.

System Info:

- PC: Dell Optiplex 980, BIOS version A07.

- PXI-1042 chassis: PXI-8360, and houses the following PXI boards: 6508, 4461, 4065, 2569, 2530.

It’s an all-else-fail scenario.  Please HELP.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,394 Views)
Solution
Accepted by sangbui_palpro

Hello palpro, 

Did anything change in the hardware setup when the computer started to not be able to boot with the PXI chassis connected? Any new PXI cards or different cards in the chassis?

One thing to try is to disconnect all of the PXI cards in the chassis other than the PXI-8360 MXI controller and if the system boots then we know the problem is with a particular card.

Andy K.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(5,384 Views)

It was the PXI-6508 card.  I removed it and everything was back to normal.  I used a known-good PXI-6508 to verify that it’s not the chassis backplane.  I am gonna call NI up for the PXI-6508 repair.

Thanks Andy,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,378 Views)

Dear Sir,

two quick questions need to consuly you,

1)

After reviewing 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/81CBF2F7F0BAEDBD86257330000514DF?OpenDocument

May I know what "MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility" for? to fix issue of boot-freezing, right?

If I do need to solve the PCI resource issue, should I still need to update the BIOS depends on selected laptop?

Does that mean if I got problem for using 8360 with my Laptop in the first installation for booting problem,  I can use "MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility" to solve the booting issue, and use my 8360 with limited condition on PCI resource enumeration?

Install NI MXI-Express BIOS compatibility software if your Windows XP or Vista-based computer does not boot when connected to your PXI chassis through MXI-Express, or if Windows does not properly discover your devices. (That is, it shows yellow exclamation points with Code 12 or Code 31 errors in Windows Device Manager, despite drivers for all devices being installed.) 

2)

In below page http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9949

Dell

National Instruments works closely with Dell to ensure that the basic input/output system (BIOS) for the current  

generation desktop PCs, laptops, and workstations works with MXI-Express. Before using MXI-Express     products   with Dell or other name brand computers, make sure that the BIOS is updated to the current version to  benefit fr  om the latest BIOS improvements.

Do you have a complete list of compatible Dell laptop for using ExpressCard 8360?

I did not finy the information on you web and even from the Forums.

Thank you,

nonomiya
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,271 Views)

Hi nonomiya,

You only need the MXI BIOS Compatibility software if you are having trouble with your MXI express connection. This can include not being able to boot at all into windows or having errors with the PCI-PCI bridge that does not allow the cards in the PXI chassis to be recognized. The MXI BIOS Compatibility software works around some limitations of the BIOS on computers that are not suited to handle PCI-PCI bridges well.  

If you are having issues with a MXI connection, the first step would be to update the BIOS to the latest versions as this will often fix the issue. If that does not work, often MXI BIOS Compatibility will.

As far as I know there is no limited functionality when using MXI BIOS Compatibility.

We do not have a list of actual laptop models that have been tested with the NI 8360 but if a particular motherboard is having issues it is very rare that they cannot be overcome.

I hope this is helpful!

Andy K.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,263 Views)