cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to configure PXI 8184 IP address

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I cannot configure the IP adress of a PXI 1031 with a 8184 controller. I follow all the steps indicated in the Help/Manuals but after assigning an IP address, when I reboot the controller the following message appears:

mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /home/ftp/c failed: Invalid argument

Entering safe mode

IP address 0.0.0.0

The hard drive has both WinXP and LabView Real Time installed, but the second hardware switch on the 8184 is ON, so the controller boots with LabView RT in Safe Mode (as indicated in page 2-13 of the PXI 8184 User Manual)

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,322 Views)

Hi Joaonational,

I am glad to help with this question. It sounds off hand like you are attempting to use some sort of linux-based bootloader (GRUB?) to dual-boot on your PXI controller. Can you confirm this?

In general, I would recommend not dual booting a PXI LabVIEW Real-Time system in this way. The best method is to use the BIOS to select when you would  like to boot into LabVIEW Real-Time, and having the MBR point to only Windows XP. If you set up a dual-boot system with a USB stick from MAX, then it is possible to use GRUB to choose between OSs - but your real-time target will show up as a PC from MAX later on.

I look forward to working with you to help get your system up and running.

Regards,

Casey Weltzin

Product Manager, LabVIEW Real-Time

National Instruments

Message Edited by Caseyw on 09-17-2009 03:53 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,312 Views)

Hi Casey,

Thank you for your reply. I don't know which bootloader is used by the PXI 8184 controller.

If I boot the controller with all the hardware switches off, WinXP is loaded. If I boot it with switch 1 ON, LabView RealTime is loaded, and finally, if I boot it with switch 2 ON, LabView RealTime (Safemode) is loaded. These several boot options can also be selected in the BIOS setup utility. In my case, the BIOS boot configuration is setup for "Use Hardware Switch", so the boot procedire is determined by the hardware switches. I have tried to boot with switch 1and switch 2 ON, but both situations lead to the error I have described.

Would you recommend to change the BOOT configuration from "Use Hardware Switch" to "LabView RT Safe Mode"? Or will this procedure lead to the same error message?

Thank once again for your help!

Joao

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,296 Views)

Hi Joao,

It sounds like my assumption that you were using some kind of special bootloader was incorrect! While I have not encountered the specific error message that you are seeing before, I am sure that we can work together to find out what is happening and get your system up and running.

Using either the switches or the BIOS directly to boot into safe mode or LabVIEW Real-Time should be fine. Based on the error, it sounds like there is a problem when LabVIEW Real-Time attempts to access the hard disk. Since the IP address settings are stored in a file on disk, this could explain why your IP address doesn't seem to "stick".

What file system are you using on your disk? Are you using multiple partitions, or a single one? LabVIEW Real-Time will operate on either a FAT32 or Reliance partition. 

Regards,

Casey Weltzin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,283 Views)

Hi Casey,

I haven't made any change to the default shipping configurations : there is a single partition with NTFS. Could the NTFS file partition be the cause of the error?

Once again, thank you for your help!

João

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,277 Views)

Hi Joaonational,

I think we found the issue! LabVIEW Real-Time does need to run on either a FAT32 partition or a Reliance partition - this explains the disk access errors that you are seeing. If you would like to dual-boot Windows or LabVIEW Real-Time on your PXI controller, you can either create a second FAT32 partition (I like using the Easeus partition manager utility) and leave the Windows NTFS partition, or just use a single FAT32 partition for both OSs. 

Did you order your PXI controller as a dual-boot system? If so, I would not expect it to ship formatted with NTFS. Assuming that you originally ordered the PXI system with Windows installed and then would like to run LabVIEW Real-Time now, keep in mind that you will need a LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for PXI to do this.

Please let me know if  you have any additional questions, and I would be glad to help. I am glad that we were able to work together to find the root of the problem.

Regards,

Casey Weltzin

Product  Manager, LabVIEW Real-Time
National Instruments

Message 6 of 14
(5,253 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Joaonational

Hello Casey,

Apparently the problem is solved. I have formated the PXI 8184 hard drive (with FAT file format), and after reboot I was able to "stick" an IP addres. Afterwards I installed NI Real Time and all the motion software I need.

Yes, the PXI was ordered with dual boot. It's amazing that NI provides the dual boot  with a file format system that does not allow for dual boot! Furthermore, as far as I could see, there isn't a single line on Help files or in the PXI 8184 Manual allerting to this problem! This should be corrected...I spent one week trying to solve this problem! If it wasn't for your help, I would still be looking for an answer.

Thank you once again,

João

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,239 Views)

Hi Joaonational,

I am glad that we have found a solution, and I would be glad to check into this issue further. If you have any additional information (i.e. your order #) that would be helpful as I track down what happened with your system.

I agree that a more intuitive error message would be helpful in this case, and I will follow-up with our R&D team to form a plan of action accordingly.

Update: this issue has been filed under Corrective Action Request #188233.

Regards,

Casey Weltzin

National Instruments

Message Edited by Caseyw on 09-22-2009 06:59 PM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,228 Views)

Hi Casey,

The PXi serial number is 12EAC95; I also have the  number of the quote provided by NI Portugal: 860864; the quote is for a "LabView for Win/ PXI-1031/ PXI 8184 bundle". Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate the order #. Hope this helps.

Once again, thank you for your help!

Best regards, 

João

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,203 Views)

Hi Joao,

I have confirmed with our installation-services department that all controllers ordered with the dual-boot option (this is selected either by NI Sales staff when assisting customers or in the online PXI Advisor) feature two partitions: FAT32 and NTFS.

Unfortunately, I am unable to look up your specific order using the information provided: the order number or PXI controller serial number would be most helpful in checking out what happened. Do you remember if you specifically ordered a controller with both OSs installed? Or, just a controller that had the capability of running both LabVIEW Real-Time in the future?

I (and NI as a whole) am very committed to making sure that we improve our processes and investigate the isssue further.

Regards,

Casey Weltzin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,188 Views)