PXI 8187 controller boot problems and other

Solved!
Go to solution
I have purchased new system of PXI

PXI-1042     Chassis
PXI-8187     Controller
PXI-6289     M series Multifunction DAQ
 now i have many problems

1- when i installed all these to chassis and powered on  , and inserted the CD having Labview RT module it signals an error message ,"unable to load LabVIEW RT from drive  , safe mode , ip 0.0.0.0" like this.

2- the controller 8187 orignally  have operating system installed or Not?
3- Is it possible to have only labVIEW RT in the controller not any other operating system like winXP?
- if yes then how to boot the system for labVIEW RT?
4- if no then How to disply dual boot option ?
5- is it necessary to have install windows xp in the controller ? or can we work only using labview RT
6- how to configure the ip of controller
7- tell me also details of  steps to connect the controller to the pc via ethernet.

I will be very thank ful
Haiderr

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(8,690 Views)
Hey Haider,
         You definitely can use the PXI-8187 as a Real-Time controller only, it does not require Windows or any other OS to be installed.  What you are seeing when you boot up the controller now is that it is in Safe Mode.  You will need to install the LabVIEW Real-Time module onto your development PC.  Once that is installed, you will be able to find your controller in MAX, and configure it's settings from there, including IP address.  After that is setup, you can download drivers and other software, including the full Real-Time OS, to the controller via MAX.  The User's Manual for the controller goes into this in detail:
http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/0D2177BA83BFB2F886256E90006BEC08

You can also dual-boot your controller with Windows and RT both installed.  Here is a document that outlines the process for doing this:
Dual-Booting Windows XP and LabVIEW RT on a PXI Controller
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/227CF36870DB7BDB86256F790057F20F?OpenDocument

I hope this helps!!

Brian B
Account Manager
National Instruments
Message 2 of 12
(8,603 Views)
sir
the suggestion you provide me helped me lot , now I am able to boot target in RT mode
I need more to configure properly as RT

1. Configured the IP address by once resetting (DIP switches) and than from MAX (Suggest values)
2. Bottom status bar Connected-Running
3. Max->Remote systems 
                             Data Neighborhood 
                             Devices and Interfaces
                             Scales
                             software  (installed all software from host)
                                                variable client support
                                                intel 8254X ethernet drivers ...
                                                Board Com 57xx Gigabit
                                                Labveiw Real time 

4. Can we remove Win xp. From target (previously which i have installed)
5. When right click devices and interface-->Create new. I can't find PXI-1042 chassis

7. Data Neighborhood--> (Create New)-NI Daqmx Task.--->Next dialog box "remote system is missing components required for editing".
8.  Which important softwares should be on remote target to succesful run of application and how they can be installed?
 from host because add/ remove only displays 8 softwares not more than that.
9.  what is MAC address and it represents which device.

uptil now the target displays
Transferring control to user programe
LabVIEW RT Boot loader
(C) Copyright 2002-2005 NI corp..
Initializing network...
Device 1- MAC address: 00:80:2F:10:4C:A8 - 192.168.40.2 (Primary)
Welcome to LabVIEW Real-Time 8.0

Thanks
Haider
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(8,207 Views)
Ok, so you are now successfully booted into the Real-Time OS.  You can uninstall Windows XP if you so desire, and you can do that through the normal Windows uninstall procedure.

Now, in order to see DAQ devices on this target, you need to install DAQmx onto the target.  If DAQmx does not appear in your software list, then you did not include RT support when you installed the DAQmx driver on your PC.  If you repair the DAQmx installation, then you can choose to include RT support, and DAQmx will appear in your software list.  Once you have that driver on there, then you should be able to see everything in MAX accordingly.

Brian B
Account Manager
National Instruments
Message 4 of 12
(8,076 Views)
I have installed DAQmx in host pc and then from add/remove i successfuly installed on target also. I can see chassis (PXI-1042),     PXI SYSTEM (PXI-8187)  but unable to identify the module PXI-6289 , which is I/O card on the slot. The slot view on the devices and interfaces shows only the controller 8187 but not 6289 card , all slots apprears empty , so what should I do?

Haider
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,847 Views)

Sir,

waiting for reply\

Haider

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(6,982 Views)
Hello Haider,

I see that you are having an issue identifying the PXI-6289 in your system.

The first thing I would check is the driver installed on the system. It seems from your last post, you have installed the DAQmx driver. What version of the DAQmx driver do you have installed? You can check the version number in Measurement and Automation Explorer  (MAX), for your RT target under the Software expansion and DAQmx.

The latest DAQmx Driver is version 8.6. You can download the driver at the following link:

NI-DAQmx 8.6 - Windows 2000/Vista x64/Vista x86/XP

In addition to verifying what driver is on your system. You can also check the following things:

1) can you try the card in a different slot. This will identify if the issue is related to the slot
2) do you have any additional cards ito try in your system?
3) can you simulate a DAQ device? This helps identify if this is an issue with the hardware or if this is an issue with the driver.

NI DAQmx Simulated Devices

4) Have you also identified your chassis correctly? Have you selected the controller? You can refer to the following tutorial on how to do it.

Configuring Your PXI System in MAX 3.x and Above

Please let me know if these suggestions are of any use.

Regards,
  Sandra T.

Applications Engineer | National Instruments
Message 7 of 12
(6,893 Views)
Hi
 I am using DAQmx 8.0 .
should I update to 8.6 or it should also work?
Haider
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(6,585 Views)
Hi Haider,

According to the readme file for DAQmx 8.0, it should be ok.  You can find this by going to http://www.ni.com.  Click Support on top, then Drivers and Updates on the left.  Click on Data Acquisition under Products.  In "Search within Results" type in DAQmx and on the second page is a link for DAQmx 8.0.1.  On that page, click on readme.html and you can see the supported devices for that version of the drivers.

Have you tried the other suggestions that Sandra had?  I'd be interested to see what those steps produce.  It should help us better understand why this is happening.
Thank You,

Nick F.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,423 Views)

I am able to launch VISA Interactive control

from where I can Get the status of PXI model number , Manufacturer and more by pressing execute button.
although i am unable to see the PXI-6289 , but still the VISA IC  is working well.
patht is
my system>>remote sys>>IP 192.168.40.2>>PXI-1042>>PXI-8187 and running the test panel.
I have written a VI in Labview 8.0  Now I need to download the vi to Target what should be steps to download?

thanks Haider
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,310 Views)