PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Server and PXI FPGA

I have a PXI-1042 with two PXI-7833R FPGA cards.  I wrote some new code for them, but the PXI doesn't have labview on it (only run-time engine), so I want to run my code remotely on my office PC while controling the device through visa server.  On the PXI, I started visa server and allowed all access.  At the beginning, I was able to see the PXI backplane as a device remotely, but I wasn't able to see the two FPGA cards.  After a while, not even the backplane showed up.  Anybody has a soluation for this?  Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,350 Views)

Hello,

I have a few questions that I'd like you to answer so we can gain a better understanding of your system.

1. Do you have an embedded controller? If so, what is the model number; i.e PXIe-8108?

2. What OS is on this controller? Windows XP? 7? RT?

3. If you do not have a controller, are you connect through a MXI connection? What MXI card do you have?

4. In your current setup, how are you connected to your chassis? Ethernet? 

5. Do you see the chassis in MAX on your host PC.

A block diagram would really help us better picture your system.

Thank you,

Vimal F

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(4,337 Views)

Thanks for your help, Vimal.  See below for comments. 

1. PXI-8105 http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202630

2. XP

3. I have a controller in the PXI-1042 chassis.  The controller is PXI-8105.

4. How is what connected to the chassis?  The controller and fpga cards are all inside the chassis. 

5. On computer where the device is connected to, I see the chassis, controller, and FPGA cards in MAX.

Setup

Chassis: PXI-1042

Controller: PXI-8105

Cards: PXI-7833R (quantity = 2)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,330 Views)

Hi Vimal,

Is there anything else that you need?  Thanks for looking into this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,304 Views)

Hello jyang72211,

Make sure that the National Instruments RIO Server is running on your Windows computer. The RIO server allows other systems to access RIO devices on your local computer through network connections. You can check the status of the service by Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Services. With the RIO Server service running on your computer please double check that you have the correct remote access settings configured in Measurement & Automation Explorer. In MAX, go to Tools>>NI-RIO Settings and make sure that you have an "*" checked in the Remote Device Access list. I have included links to some documentation which have more information regarding this issue. Hope this helps!

Remote Application Development for Windows based CompactRIO

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13050/en

How do I Configure the RIO Server on my 908x cRIO running Windows Embedded Standard 7?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E10AEC4FFBB784368625795100790AA4?OpenDocument

Paul-B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 5 of 5
(4,296 Views)