cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse modulated CW with PXI-5650 and PXI-6653

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to generate a pulse modulated CW signal with the PXI-5650 as the RF source and the PXI-6653 as the modulating signal. Basically I am trying to generate a simple radar waveform. It seems like this would be possible to use the Timing Module (6653) to turn the RF output on/off on the Signal Generator (5650), but I am not sure how to route signals from one to the other using LabView.

Has anyone tried this or something similar before? Can anyone please offer some advice?

Thanks!

-John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,421 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jendzurski

Hi John,

From reading your post, it sounds like you want to use your timing and sync card to turn the RF output on/off, in others words, On Off Keying. OOK modulation is a built-in feature to the 5650. For more information, you can navigate in the NI RF Signal Generators Help to Devices -> NI RF Signal Generators -> NI 5650/5651/5652 Overview -> Modulation Modes, and just click on Modulation Modes. 

An example of this can also be found in the NI Example Finder by navigating to Help -> Find Examples... in LabVIEW and then navigating in the NI Example Finder to Hardware Input and Output -> Modular Instruments -> NI-RFSG -> Modulated Waveforms -> RFSG 565x Digital Modulation.vi.

Regards,

Jason L.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,413 Views)

Hi Jason,

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I did not realize that OOK was built in to the 5650. That's great!  Thanks for your response and the clear explanation on where exactly to find the example vi's.

-John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,409 Views)

Hello,

How is pulse modulated CW done with PXIe-5673E vector signal generator.  I cant seem to find any examples in labview.  The only information I found is using PXI-5652(signal generator) only.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,147 Views)

Hi Eric,

What kind of modulation do you want to do?  The 5673E is not compatible with the examples listed previously; however, the 5673E has the ability to generate an arbitrary waveform.  Are you looking to perform OOK?  You could create a waveform that writes pulses at whatever frequency you desire.

In this case, I would recommend starting from either "RFSG Arbitrary Waveform Streaming.vi" or "RFSG Write Waveform From File.vi".  These can be found in the LabVIEW example finder at:

Hardware Input and Output -> Modular Instruments -> NI-RFSG -> Modulated Waveform Generation

Best Regards,

David B

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,130 Views)