Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I sample 9215 AI channels separately at times differing by just a few FPGA ticks?

Solved!
Go to solution

Howdy--

The image below is a crude illustration of my question.  I would like to individually account for the delay between the excitation and response of 4 separated systems, each one connected to a single channel of a 9263 (excitation) and a 9215 (response).  The minimum update delay on both modules is around 10 uSec, so I believe this would work if I simply wanted to read all the AI channels simultaneously.  However, I haven't yet understood the 9215's inner workings enough know if I can sample the individual channels at times separated by a few FPGA clock ticks.

Thanks everyone, and have a great day.

Multi-Channel IO timing example.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,320 Views)
Solution
Accepted by BradNC

Hi bcro,

With the 9215, all of the separate channels have separate ADCs, but still operate from the same 100kHz (10usec) clock as the module is limited to that sample rate. 

So, in your case (thanks for the picture, by the way- that's always helpful!), what will happen is that all four of these Input channels from the 9215 will take place on the next loop cycle instead of staggered within the one iteration of the loop.

For instance, if you were to use a 40usec (25 kHz) loop rate, you could offset these delays at 10usec intervals and make this setup work, just not as quickly as you'd like.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense, but the short answer is that we won't be able to do that while running the loop at the minimum cycle time.

Regards,
Austin S.

National Instruments
Academic Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,292 Views)

Thank you, Austin, for your reply, and for answering my question better than I was able to ask it.  The role of the module's 100 kHz clock was the real underlying issue I think I needed to understand there.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,281 Views)