Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA master to FPGA 9144 communication?

Hi,

We want to run FPGA code on our NI 9144.  How do I transfer data between FPGA code on the 9144 and FPGA code running on the master controller?  The whitepaper Programming EtherCAT I/O With FPGA Intelligence describes using User Defined Variables to communicate with the NI 9144, but that is apparently only supported for communication with an RT program on the master controller.   Belows is what happens when I try using the UDV in an FPGA program on the master contoller.

Steve

FPGA2FPGA.png

Message 1 of 3
(5,305 Views)

Hi maherhome,

In this case the Ethercat communication is handled by the RT Target, so in order to be able to pass some data from one FPGA to another FPGA from a different chassis you need to do it through the RT, the RT will receive the data and if you program it, you can have that data sent to the FPGA of your other device.

Regards,

steve.bm
AE | NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,288 Views)

That news was a bit shocking at first, but I'm getting used to it.

I guess if my timing requirements are more stringent than what channeling all communications through RT will allow, then I can setup a custom SPI network between the main and chasis using DIO modules and talk using FPGA.

Steve

Message 3 of 3
(5,283 Views)