Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO Build Error

Solved!
Go to solution

I've downloaded the Structural Health Monitoring example files and customized them for my equipment (cRIO 9074 with 2xNI9234 and 1xNI9213). The program was completely operational until I cleaned up my files and folders in the project. Now when I try to build the main VI ([RT] Deployment.vi) to a RealTime startup application, I get the following error.

Not sure what to do because:

1 - The .vi runs when I just click "Run" rather than building it.

2 - All the files are still there as far as I can tell.

3 - Error message isn't very clear

Any help?

Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 6 occurred at AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Close_Reference.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_RTEXE.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_RTEXE.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Engine_Build.vi -> AB_Build_Invoke.vi -> AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Generic file I/O error.
=========================
NI-488:  I/O operation aborted

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,422 Views)

Hi,

I have just had a similar problem.  It turned out to be a path length problem. I shortened the build name and it worked.

There is a limit to the number of characters that can be used and I had crossed that limit.  You say that you had cleaned up your files and folders.  Could it be that the path length has increased?

It is not the most helpful of NI's error messages.

Cheers

Stephen

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,407 Views)
Solution
Accepted by PMOSER
Stephen is correct, this is a file path length issue. This is imposed by Windows, not LabVIEW, and I have seen it happen when components in a project are organized very tightly in many subfolders. Windows imposes a 255 character path length restriction. Either have less subfolders or reduce the length of the name of the object so that it does not exceed that. Look in the 'Files' tab of your project so you can have an idea of how 'complex' your file structure is, just putting something on your desktop makes a long path!
Rob K
Measurements Mechanical Engineer (C-Series, USB X-Series)
National Instruments
CompactRIO Developers Guide
CompactRIO Out of the Box Video
Message 3 of 7
(4,395 Views)

Moved it from my desktop to the C drive, works like a charm.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,376 Views)

Bob,

Thank you for bringing some light on this. Where lies the 255 character limit; in the source files or in built files?

/ Leif

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,619 Views)

Hello Leif,

Could elabroate on what you mean?  I interpret you question to mean, 'why is there a 255 limit on the file name?'  The anwser rob put forward a few years ago remains true, it is a limit imposed by Windows.  

David A.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,593 Views)

David,

I believe Lefi is referring to whether the file length of his files pre-build matters(his .vi's) or the output file(.exe and supporting files) matter. Since Windows will not allow the file path lengths of any existing files to be larger than 255 characters(test it - try creating a bunch of nested folders with long names on your desktop), then logically it must be the output files that exceed this, as the built files add several layers of files.

You can easily get around this by using a shorter path for the build destination or by moving your files to a more direct location (not your desktop).

Reference: Why Do I Receive Error Code 6 Occurred at AB_Source_VI When Building an Executable?

Rob K
Measurements Mechanical Engineer (C-Series, USB X-Series)
National Instruments
CompactRIO Developers Guide
CompactRIO Out of the Box Video
Message 7 of 7
(3,562 Views)