Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot detect chassis

Here is one thing to try that we haven't yet.

Put the system into safemode (flip the safemode switch to on position and then reboot)

Format (go into max and select format)

After the system is done formatting, flip the safemode switch off and reboot.

Reinstall software (through MAX), however install the mimimum amount of software. Make sure that all of the toolkits like IMAQ are unselected.

If this does not work out for you, I recommend calling in to NI support.

National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
Message 11 of 27
(2,757 Views)

Planning to do all of that with LV8.6 on another comp.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(2,750 Views)

well just so you know, the chassis and modules were succesfully detected with NI-RIO 3.0, RT 8.6 on another comp.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(2,725 Views)

by the way, is it possible to have LV2011 in the host and communicate in real time with a crio with previous version software installed?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(2,718 Views)

You could use TCP/IP to communicate between a cRIO controller with one version of LV and a host computer, however, I am not sure that this is a problem with LV 2011 running on your cRIO 9014. I am actually in the opinion now that this issue is being caused by (possibly) a corrupt install of 2011 on the computer you were using originally. There are really two options I would use to go further with this issue. First, you could uninstall and reinstall everything on the first computer (you would need to do a complete uninstall). Second you could install 2011 and RIO 4.0 with the computer that currently has 8.6.

The reason that I am not whole heartedly suggesting that you use 8.6 on the cRIO controller and LV 2011 on the host is because you would need to develop the host vi and the deployment vi (on the cRIO) on different computers (or atleast deploy from the 8.6 computer and port everything over to the 2011 computer and upgrade the host code). If this is a prototyping application that you need to rapidly work, then that may possibly be an answer. If this is a longer term project that may be in an end deployment product for a customer, I would go ahead and reinstall LV.

If you do a reinstall or upgrade (on the LV 8.6) computer and it still does not detect the chassis, then I suggest calling in to NI Support (talking to someone over the phone speeds things up a lot faster).

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(2,710 Views)

thanks bro!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(2,697 Views)

Hi all,

I have a similar problem with my cRIO chassis, but still am not able to fix it with the info in this post.

I recently did a complete reinstall of the LabVIEW software on my laptop. Since then I cannot see my cRIO chassis anymore in MAX.

I strongly believe it has something to do with the NI-RIO drivers which are different on both machines.

Laptop software:

* All versions are Released Fall 2011

-LabVIEW Development System 32 bit

-LabVIEW FPGA Module

-LabVIEW Real-Time Module

-NI-RIO 4.0.0

cRIO software:

(Completely unknown)

- I always connected my cRIO directly to the laptop, using a cross-over cable

- I did an IP RESET on the cRIO but still no change in MAX

- I turned off my firewall

- I deactivated the wireless network adapter, so there is only one network adapter active on my laptop

-The cRIO has an 9014 controller with an 9104 chassis

In attachement I added a screenshot of the MAX window

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(2,649 Views)

From your screenshot, it looks like you are not able to detect the controller either. Is this true? If it is, then make sure your laptop has a static IP address. If you can see the controller, but cannot see the chassis, then format the controller and reinstall software.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(2,645 Views)

Yes it is, I cannot detect neither the controller or chassis.

I tried different static ip-adresses, but it has no effect.

I don't think this is caused by the cable, because I'm sure it is used before for the same purpose. (How can you see on the markings that you have a crossover ethernet cable?).

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(2,637 Views)

marco2136intotherain

Here is a recommendation for troubleshooting RIO Devices (Chassis) items not showing up in the LabVIEW project in LabVIEW 2011 with NI-RIO 4.0. The steps build upon each other an can help isolate the causing issue.

1. Format your target from MAX: This puts your CompactRIO controller in a clean and known state.

2. Install the "NI-RIO 4.0 - August 2011" Software Set. Do not install any Add-ons on the next dialog. Make sure the install succeeds and the safe mode switch is turned on (for normal operation).

3. Make sure the CompactRIO is a in "Connected - Running" System state. You can view this in MAX when you click on the remote system in MAX

4. Expand the "Devices and Interfaces" item underneath the compactRIO. You should be able to see the RIO chassis item underneath.

5. Clicking on the RIO Devices underneath "Devices and Interfaces" should elaborate on the status. It should read "This device is working properly".

6. Fire up LabVIEW 2011, Add the CompactRIO device, Chassis, and any modules through discovery.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(2,630 Views)