Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downloading and installing NI RIO with NI Scan Engine

Hello

I have a cRIO-9074, to be used with LabVIEW 2009.

When I open MAX to download the NI-RIO 4.0 with NI Scan Engine Support, it's inactive and missing from the computer.

Even for all NI-RIO versions available on the computer, the NI-RIO with NI Scan Enginer support is missing.

I've tried to search for the drivers support over NI website but I couldn't find it.

Can I get some help for that?

Regards;

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(9,107 Views)

Abdoul,

Are you using LabVIEW 2009 SP1? RIO 4.0 is only compatible with SP1. Uninstall NI RIO and install NI RIO 3.3.

We have a article outlining the compatibility but the link seems to be broken currently. I'll post it when its fixed if you would like.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(9,100 Views)

Hello Kyle

Thanks alot for your reply.

I've already started uninstalling all National Instruments software from the computer, and will start installing LabVIEW 2011.

Will NI RIO 4 be compatible with this version?

Do I need to install LabVIEW 2011 SP1?

Regards;

Abdoul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(9,089 Views)

Abdoul,

We do encourage our customers to use the latest version of labview. So if you have access to LabVIEW 2011 SP1 we encourage you to upgrade to it. It will contain several bug fixes and improvements over non SP1. 

NI RIO 4.0 was released for LabVIEW 2011. If you install LabVIEW 2011 SP1 then you'll need NI RIO 4.1.

Here is a list of LabVIEW and NI RIO compatibility.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(9,087 Views)

Hello Kyle

I've tried to instal LabVIEW 2011 and NI RIO 4.0, still I'm not getting the NI RIO with scan engine support at the software wizard, as shown in the attachment.

The hardware I'm using: NI cRIO-9074 controller, with NI 9512 and NI 9213 modules.

Are these compatible with the software version I'm using?

If yes, what would be the problem?

I've also tried to open one of the examples for NI 9512 and move it to the cRIO-9074 FPGA target, still had errors when I run the VIs.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Best Regards;

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(9,052 Views)

Starting in NI-RIO 4.0, the Real-Time software installer moved to a single Recommended Software Set (RSS) compared to the three options (minimal, standard, and with Scan Engine) previously. The single RSS now just includes the basic software to use your target. If you need to install any additional software, you can select from the list of software add-ons during the next step of the install process. In your case, click next and look for the option to install the Scan Engine add-on.

Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(9,044 Views)

Hello, Kyle Hartley

i do have met with the same problem after the next step of RSS i got with these (optional) select the software set add-ons as shown in below attachments.

im using labVIEW 2012,NI CRIO 9004. im not getting NI Scan Engine in the the software set add-ons step.

kindly tell us what would be the problem?

Regards,Bharath godi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,737 Views)

Unfortunately, the CompactRIO 9004 controller does not support use of the NI Scan Engine. A list of all supported targets can be viewed at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A03708FB6CB8B2DE862574D6006D0263

Alex Person
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,727 Views)

Thank you Alex,

But how can i make use of CRIO in realtime programnming without having scan engine.when ever i tried to open realtime project it is adding the FPGA under the chassis in the project.please can you clarify how can i use real time programming using CRIO 9004.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,695 Views)

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. If you are just wanting to program a VI on the Real-Time controller, right-click the controller in your project and select New»VI. Anything programmed here will run on the controller when you run the VI.

If you are asking how to get I/O from the modules in your Real-Time VI without using Scan Mode, you will need to program an FPGA VI to acquire the data and then send it to your Real-Time VI through controls/indicators or through a DMA FIFO. You can look at this document, http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3112/en, to get a start on the FPGA and host programming. If you need to transfer a lot of data, use a DMA FIFO. Check the LabVIEW Help and Example Finder or search the NI website for "dma fifo" to find some resources (https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6303) to get started using them. 

Alex Person
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,640 Views)