Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I turn off windows firewall for FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

I was trying to compile an FPGA vi. Near the end of the compile I was asked if I wanted to disable something in the windows firewall (to presumably allow communication between my computer and my PXI-7854R). At the time, I did not have administrative priviledge and could do nothing but cancel that request. Naturally, nothing I compile now will run. How do I get back to the point where I can disable this firewall?

Attached is a picture of the error message.

Capture.JPG

thanks,

Stephen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,890 Views)

I dont understand the problem in detail but try this:

Right click on the device in the project window and chose RIO Device Setup (or something similar). Press the button "Erase Bitfile on Flash" and recompile. The windows error should reappear giving you a chance to correct it. It worked for me at least once.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,873 Views)

Hi Sjesse,

There shouldn't be any Windows Firewall between your computer and the PXI slot.  It sounds like your computer no longer sees the device.  Open up Measurement & Automation Explorer and look under Devices and Interfaces--do you see your PXI 7845R listed anywhere here?  If not, then do you see it in Windows Device Manager?  What version of LabVIEW and NI-RIO are you using?

Please post back with some more information and we'll be happy to help you out. 

Cheers, 

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,868 Views)

Thanks for your help, things are working now - but I am not sure which thing I did fixed what was wrong.

I did check the automation explorer, and as far as I could tell - everything was kosher. However, I did notice that another card in the PXI box (a PXI-5412) did not have the access light on. I did a full restart on my computer and the PXI chassis.  Before I did the restart, I changed some firewall settings. After restarting, the access light came back on, and the FPGA card started working. So, though it was not the most scientific way to fix what was wrong, it is now working.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,862 Views)
Solution
Accepted by sjesse

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for posting what solved your problem--it helps other users who stumble upon this page troubleshoot.  So they can see which post solved it, could you please go ahead and mark the post as a "solution" and give proper kudos?

Thanks!!

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
Message 5 of 5
(3,851 Views)