SystemLink Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications on client

Maybe I completely missed this, but are there any notifications built into the SystemLink Client when an update is pending (assuming the system is locked), or when a system requires a reboot due to an update?  currently, if I install an update when a test program is running, the Server informs me that the test system needs to restart, but I did not notice anything on the client side.

Maybe have a server side "Force Update Now" option, or a "let operator decide" option.

For the operator, it would be really nice to have a pop-up in the taskbar to notify the client that an update is pending.  They can choose to install immediately or wait until the task (test) is complete.  Or If the Client was able to detect if the exe in the package is in use, it could inform the operator that there is a mandatory update.

I know that there is a minion lock and unlock, but I would think that then all test programs (LabVIEW or non-LabVIEW) would then have to lock and unlock incorporated into the test code.  this would incur a lot of testing and validation on test programs, where if it was client side there is no additional validation.

Kenny

Message 1 of 4
(2,796 Views)

Hi Kenny!

You didn't miss anything to my knowledge. The only notifications built-in are in SystemLink 18.0 under the Alarms area of Systems Manager. This will send email notifications (or texts using phone carrier email to text) when a tag monitoring condition is met, like CPU usage or temperature higher than a given limit. See Specifying Notification Settings for Alarms and How Do I Manage Health and Performance With SystemLink? for more info on that feature.

This is valuable feedback and I want to make sure it gets to the right place. I'll post back here when I have any updates!

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,759 Views)

Hi Kenny,

I looked into this further, and this is not part of the current feature set for SystemLink 18.0. Either way, I definitely see the value for the specific cases you mentioned. I've passed along your feedback internally as a feature request for future SystemLink releases, thanks for the input!

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,744 Views)

Ok, thanks for the update.

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,742 Views)