Troubleshooting Hardware

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoboRIO2 5V rail short

Good afternoon,

I have a RoboRIO2 that was purchased last year but not used until this year.  At one of our events a few weeks ago, we started seeing a red power light and 5V rail fault displayed in the driverstation app.

We have since opened it up and cleaned it out, including under the plastic spacers on the various header pins (PWM, DIO, etc).  While we did initially find some swarf, it's all gone now... yet the red LED and rail fault remains.

Some additional troubleshooting I did (only thing connected was power and sometimes a USB A-B cable):

1. Visual inspection of circuit board components - no obvious blown capacitors or other obvious damage
  2. If I move the 3.3v/5v jumper to the 3.3v side, the fault remains.  If I remove the jumper entirely, the fault is gone.
    • Coincidentally, I noticed that the voltage when using the 3.3v jumper is actually reading as 1.8v.  I know FRC doesn't use this, but I found it odd.
  3. If I remove the SD card, the fault state is not displayed (I believe this is implemented in the RIO image, so this is not surprising to me).

At this point, I'm at a bit of a loss on what to try next.

My team and I will both be in Houston for the championship event, and I will be a CSA.  I'm happy to bring it with me if one of the NI folks would like to take a look themselves.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(97 Views)

Hi fletch3181,

My name is Esteban from NI.

We've encountered similar issues before when the SD card comes unseated. Could you try to take out the SD card, check the slot for any metal debris (perhaps by turning it upside down and shaking it firmly), and then place the card back securely?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(69 Views)

Apologies for the delay.  No that didn't help.  I have it in Houston with me and can check in with NI folks here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(49 Views)

Joe H was able to find some swarf that I didn't see, and now the fault is gone.  I'm all good now.

Message 4 of 4
(34 Views)