Troubleshooting Hardware

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roboRIO 2 5V problem

Solved!
Go to solution

We have a 5V fault (per Driver Station and red Power LED) on our roboRIO 2.  I have opened the case and tried removing any loose shavings, but no luck yet.

There is a flexible panel in the center (maybe a heat sink?) that covers some of the components, making it hard to clean that area.  How delicate should I be with that?  How much can I lift it to clean underneath?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(804 Views)

Hi Greg,

I'm Matthew with NI. Thanks for posting on the forums.

What we normally tell teams dealing with a short to do is:

> Open the device using the four screws on the back and the two screws at the port port and clean the unit off using compressed air. (Maybe also use a flashlight to inspect the board closely for any remaining metal shards and remove them as well.)

I would suggest compressed air rather than trying to lift any components/heat sinks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(772 Views)

I have spent a couple of hours so far with it.  I have cleaned out what I can see and used compressed air several times.  The 5V is still shorted to ground somewhere.  

Another Mentor is going to give it a go.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(767 Views)

Have you run the roboRIO with nothing but power plugged in? do you still see the 5v short?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(761 Views)

Correct.  After each round of cleaning, we add power and watch the Power LED turn red.  

We have also disconnected power and used a multimeter to confirm there is a short between 5V and DGND pins on the MXP port:

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(748 Views)

To confirm, you completely removed the PCB from the case and cleaned the front and back with compressed air, and inspected closely with a light, and have been unable to clear the short?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(739 Views)

Correct. Two of us have now removed the board from the case, used compressed air, magnifiers, and lights to remove any debris we saw.  We cannot find any other debris, but it still has a 5V fault.

Unless there are any other ways to isolate where the fault is, I think it is time to send it in for repair.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(730 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Greg_4534

I have sent you a private message on next steps

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(727 Views)