From 11:00 PM CDT Friday, May 10 – 02:30 PM CDT Saturday, May 11 (04:00 AM UTC – 07:30 PM UTC), ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating Images at NI Week 2009

Solved!
Go to solution

If you watch the NI Week Web UI Keynote talk at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dWrc-R23zk; at 3min8sec they mention that the wind-vanes shown are rotating images (and obviously have some transparency).... "Images we've applied a rotation animation to"

This looks VERY slick, but I can't figure out how this would be implemented.

How was this implemented? I've seen various discussions on this when googling the problem, but no good solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,772 Views)

Web UI Builder is implemented on Microsoft Silverlight technology.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 2 of 9
(4,039 Views)

This was done in the LabVIEW WebUI builder, which is a different product than standard LabVIEW and is not quite released yet.  However seeing as they mentioned it at NI week means it must be coming along soon :-D.

I don't think this is possible in standard LabVIEW, but maybe others on here have other ideas.  

Message 3 of 9
(4,039 Views)

Darn, you beat me to it by just a few seconds...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,039 Views)

LabVIEW does not currently have image rotation capabilties (although I suppose you could probably write the image transformation algorithm and render it in a picture control).

LabVIEW does, however, support image transparency. If you import images to the clipboard via the Edit menu (Import Picture to Clipboard) and browse to a file that contains transparency (e.g. a PNG with an alpha channel), the transparency information will be preserved when you paste into a VI. (Note that copying and pasting an image through the system clipboard will not preserve the transparency information in LabVIEW).

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,039 Views)

Dragging a PNG file onto a front panel (or block diagram) as a decoration also preserves transparency.  I find this easier than going the Edit >> Import Picture to Clipboard... route.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,039 Views)
Solution
Accepted by buckidge

Placing a series of pictures in a "picture ring" and rotating through the cases can give you a similar effect.

Simply add cases to your picture ring and drag the png with a transparent background (as noted by Justin).

GCentral ChampionCLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,039 Views)

Recreating the Web UI Builder demo in LabVIEW is fairly easy.  I've posted an example with a quick write up here - http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/ui/blog/2010/09/13/windmill-ui-example

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,039 Views)

Thanks for the details, Norm. I gather this is how it's done, which is what I was looking for. Unfortunately though, I don't really like the answer as it is fairly clumsy with all the work required with rotations in powerpoint.

Maybe I should write a VI to make it happen easier.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,039 Views)