UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating Images at NI Week 2009

Solved!
Go to solution

If you watch the NI Week Web UI Keynote talk at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dWrc-R23zk; at 3min8sec they mention that the wind-vanes shown are rotating images (and obviously have some transparency).... "Images we've applied a rotation animation to"

This looks VERY slick, but I can't figure out how this would be implemented.

How was this implemented? I've seen various discussions on this when googling the problem, but no good solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,773 Views)

Web UI Builder is implemented on Microsoft Silverlight technology.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 2 of 9
(4,040 Views)

This was done in the LabVIEW WebUI builder, which is a different product than standard LabVIEW and is not quite released yet.  However seeing as they mentioned it at NI week means it must be coming along soon :-D.

I don't think this is possible in standard LabVIEW, but maybe others on here have other ideas.  

Message 3 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Darn, you beat me to it by just a few seconds...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,040 Views)

LabVIEW does not currently have image rotation capabilties (although I suppose you could probably write the image transformation algorithm and render it in a picture control).

LabVIEW does, however, support image transparency. If you import images to the clipboard via the Edit menu (Import Picture to Clipboard) and browse to a file that contains transparency (e.g. a PNG with an alpha channel), the transparency information will be preserved when you paste into a VI. (Note that copying and pasting an image through the system clipboard will not preserve the transparency information in LabVIEW).

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Dragging a PNG file onto a front panel (or block diagram) as a decoration also preserves transparency.  I find this easier than going the Edit >> Import Picture to Clipboard... route.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,040 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author buckidge

Placing a series of pictures in a "picture ring" and rotating through the cases can give you a similar effect.

Simply add cases to your picture ring and drag the png with a transparent background (as noted by Justin).

GCentral ChampionCLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Recreating the Web UI Builder demo in LabVIEW is fairly easy.  I've posted an example with a quick write up here - http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/ui/blog/2010/09/13/windmill-ui-example

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,040 Views)

Thanks for the details, Norm. I gather this is how it's done, which is what I was looking for. Unfortunately though, I don't really like the answer as it is fairly clumsy with all the work required with rotations in powerpoint.

Maybe I should write a VI to make it happen easier.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,040 Views)