UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X Control to select delimiter character like space, comma, tab, colon etc...

I wrote my first X Control to select decimal separators/table delimiters for beeing used when importing ascii data in own programs. I want to ask if "UI interest group" would be interested in such a contribution. If so i could upload the X Control next week for review/critical comments. Beeing a physician i often deal with ascii data and need to import it in own LabView programs. However, sometime the data happens to use "." as decimal separator, sometimes ",". Additionally the columns delimiter can vary also. Therefore i always wire the delimiter and decimal separators in table string to array and similar functions to input controls. However, the string inputs accept all ascii characters but only a small subset is used as separators/delimiters. Furthermore your have always to delete the former separator and type the new one if it changes and check if input has been made correctly.

Using enums or ring controls is has the advange in beeing able to make a preset of known separators/delimiters. However, the text field does not show backslash codes as the string inputs (if they are configures for this).  So, names have to be used instead. Then the corresponding index has to be translated back to the delimiter/separator string by case structures. 

With my X Control this is past. 

You can select the desired separator/delimiter by name, a preview is shown in a closed by string indicator and the correct separator is returned as a string to the containing vi of the X Control. There is no need for further processing of enum/ring control indices to separator strings. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,969 Views)