USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default subnet mask

Solved!
Go to solution

Right now I can connect USRPs to my PC easily. But I am wondering if I move the USRPs to another room and assign an static Ip to them within the department's pool of IPs, can I still to connect to them via Ethernet?
This depends on the default subnet mask of the devices. Right now I guess it is 255.255.x.x. But if I assign them an IP from my department's pool of IPs, then the subnet mask/gateway address also should be updated. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,361 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Haniff

Hello Haniff,

The simple answer to your question is yes, you can connect to your USRP via Ethernet.  There is more information about doing so in the product manual for each device.  Take a look at page 6.  The default subnet may be different depending on your device, but the NI 29xx series devices default to 255.255.255.0.  You can edit the IP address of the device using the USRP Configuration Utility, available at Start»All Programs»National Instruments»NI-USRP»NI-USRP Configuration 

Utility.  You would first have to connect directly to the device, apply an IP address that is on the same subnet as your host machine, then deploy the unit to where you would need it.  

I do not believe there is a way to edit the subnet and gateway manually.  You must use the device on the same subnet as your host, and the default gateway will be assigned automatically.

Also, I wanted to point out that, in my experience, connecting to a USRP device through a network can negatively affect performance.  The network latency introduced by the Ethernet communication lowers throughput and responsiveness of the device, so depending on your use case, I would not recommend connecting over Ethernet unless you have no other options.

Patrick
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,334 Views)

Is there a good document that describes the USRP network interface and control registers?

I have only found examples for varioius applications but not basic explanation of how to control the USRP 2929

May be a dumb question but I feel like I am missing something fundamental in my model of the box.

Regards,

David M Stewart

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,255 Views)

Is there a good document that describes the USRP network interface and control registers?

I have only found examples for varioius applications but not basic explanation of how to control the USRP 2929

May be a dumb question but I feel like I am missing something fundamental in my model of the box.

Regards,

David M Stewart

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,240 Views)

Hello David,

What specific information were you hoping to find?  What exactly are you hoping to do with the device?  Accessing the device memory registers would not be considered basic control of the device, so I am curious what exactly you are looking to learn.

There are examples and help documentation available at Start»All Programs»National Instruments»NI-USRP.  Have you already been using these examples?

One resource that I find to be especially useful is at the following link:  http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13880/en

Also, I can't find a product called the USRP-2929.  Is that the correct model number?

Patrick
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,233 Views)