VI Analyzer Enthusiasts Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spell Check Locks Up

Solved!
Go to solution

So I'm having some instances where the Spell Check test just locks up.  I let it go for 20 minutes and it never got any farther.  I can see that it is getting stuck in the Extract and Process Data--FP Control.vi VI when scanning a particular VI.  Making troubleshooting more difficult is this VI is password protected.  I can see in the VI but I couldn't find any reason to lock it up.  But since that is in an LLB, that is part of a passworded library, making edits, or debugging is difficult.  I might try to make my own Spell Check2 test that I can debug more but has anyone seen this?  Is there a reason to lock this VI?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,450 Views)

Weird, there are a couple of while loops in that code but I've never seen them loop forever. Maybe it's one of those, or maybe there's a bug in some property node in that code causing it to hang? I also don't see off-hand why the VI is password-protected, maybe there's a hidden private property nested in the code somewhere. Anyway, tell me what LabVIEW version you're using and I'll post an unlocked version of that VI you can drop-in to your code to debug, I'm curious to see what you find.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,441 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hooovahh

Egg on my face time.  So it isn't locking up in that VI, it is actually in a subVI of that VI, Break Strings.vi. And it isn't locked up, my VI just happened to have some MCLB with a very large amount of rows.  This resulted in a string with over a couple million characters going into the Break Strings.vi which seemed like locking up but really it just took forever.  There really isn't a better way to handle this other than having a limit on the string length and a warning afterwards being like "Bro you probably have some constants somewhere that need clearing."

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,435 Views)

Gotcha, thanks for posting the follow-up. I've run into similar issues. The Icon Editor source code has some hard-coded constant VIs containing large amounts of picture data in them (for when glyphs can't be downloaded from ni.com). Right now the Ctrl-F text search looks inside picture strings (a bug if you ask me), so whenever you do a Ctrl-F on the Icon Editor source to search for text it takes forever.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,432 Views)