VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB-8012 Upgradability Questions

Greetings,

I've gotten my hands on a VB-8012.  It is currently on firmware 1.0.1f0.  I've got a few questions:

1) What is the highest firmware version this device supports? I can see the levels here: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/17/virtualbench-firmware-release-notes.h...

2) How do I go about downloading the correct firmware version for an offline update?

The post here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/VirtualBench/Offline-update/td-p/3867053 indicates where and how to update, but the included link points to the Soft Front Panel download page instead of the firmware drivers.

For what it's worth, I've installed VirtualBench 19 to see if this would allow me to update the instruments firmware, but no success.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,523 Views)

@DJ_001 wrote:

I've gotten my hands on a VB-8012.  It is currently on firmware 1.0.1f0.  I've got a few questions:

1) What is the highest firmware version this device supports? I can see the levels here: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/17/virtualbench-firmware-release-notes.h...

The highest firmware version for VirtualBench devices is 18.0.0f0.

@DJ_001 wrote:

2) How do I go about downloading the correct firmware version for an offline update?

The post here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/VirtualBench/Offline-update/td-p/3867053 indicates where and how to update, but the included link points to the Soft Front Panel download page instead of the firmware drivers.

For what it's worth, I've installed VirtualBench 19 to see if this would allow me to update the instruments firmware, but no success.

I believe the direct firmware downloads were removed, and it looks like the site is redirecting to the closest match, which is the application download page.

When you tried to use VirtualBench 19 to upgrade the firmware, what steps did you take and what happened? Was the system connected to the Internet?

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,448 Views)

@JoeFriedchicken wrote:

When you tried to use VirtualBench 19 to upgrade the firmware, what steps did you take and what happened? Was the system connected to the Internet?

With the VB-8012 connected to WiFi, and connected to the PC via USB.  The PC is connected to the internet.

I launch the VirtualBench software and select File>Search For Firmware Update.  "The result is an error message stating "Undable to reach the firmware update server. Verify your internet connection and try again." See attached images

Capture.PNG

About Version 18.PNG

If I run the VirtualBench (version 1.0.1.49152)  that is included on the VB-8012 and attempt the firmware update I get error: "An unexpected error occurred searching for a firmware update.  Try again later, or check ni.com for updates"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,427 Views)

Ok thank you!

@DJ_001 wrote:

I launch the VirtualBench software and select File>Search For Firmware Update.  The result is an error message stating "Unable to reach the firmware update server. Verify your internet connection and try again."

When I spoke with a colleague about this problem, we were able to determine a work-around. I'll send you a direct message with next steps.

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Message 4 of 13
(4,360 Views)

Hi Joe Friedchicken,

I'm in the same boat as the other user.  I have two VB-8012s that I cannot upgrade the firmware on.  Can you please message me as well or make a public post? 

Many thanks!  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,299 Views)

@TekSkateboardWizard wrote:

I have two VB-8012s that I cannot upgrade the firmware on.  Can you please message me as well or make a public post?

Sure! I sent you a DM.

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,222 Views)

We use VB-8012 instruments at our college and are unable to obtain the upgrades.  What is the process?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,552 Views)

It might be best to DM Joe Friedchicken

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,535 Views)

I have two VB-8012s that I cannot upgrade the firmware on. Can you please message me as well or make a public post? Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,605 Views)

We have many VB-8012s needing firmware updates. Can you help us out with how this can be done?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,645 Views)