LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New features of LabVIEW 2015

I hope the 'something wonderful' isn't cloud related, as that won't be particularly exciting for my use cases. I'm hoping for a major GUI overhaul to give a more flexible UI.

The Javascipt comment in the keynote didn't sound like a joke to me- more like a set piece to announce a forthcoming feature. They even paused as if expecting applause, but silence. But it does tend to play into the cloud theory.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 38
(2,081 Views)

@ToeCutter wrote:

They even paused as if expecting applause, but silence. 

It was funny being there, because you could tell some wanted to applaud, and some were in shock just trying to process what kind of impact this would have.  Announcing a feature people can quickly appreciate gets immediate reaction, like the remove and add space in 2015.  Heck all they would have to say is "LabVIEW 2015 now has zoom" and people would go nuts.  I wouldn't see that feature as ground breaking but I would cheer and clap.  But when you drop a bomb shell like porting the RTE to Java, people start to scratch their head and think how they could use it, and what that can mean.

Wouldn't it be great, if every VI posted on the forums could be clicked, and could be interacted with, and ran in your browser?  What would that mean for running VIs on your phone?  If someone posts a VI asking why it doesn't do what they want, could I run check the forum from my phone, run the VI from my phone, debug it, and post an answer back?  Distributed off load working could be done pretty easily.  Instead of thinking of code being single execution line by line, we know LabVIEW works well in parallel, with actors essentially being threads of execution, but if we think bigger the PCs on the network could be more parallel threads of execution.  Each PC could be running a web browser getting and sending commands.  These are the types of things, that we can come up with later, but announcing a Java port of some kind, and then asking for applause is a bit much.

Message 32 of 38
(2,052 Views)

You might be mixing up java and javascript. Javascript runs on pretty much anything with a UI today. You'd be able to run LV on a $35 windows 10 RT Raspberry PI or a cell phone.

On the other hand, it looks like a lot of time has gone into this UI don't you think?

Are those vector graphics?

Message 33 of 38
(2,017 Views)

@igagne wrote:

You might be mixing up java and javascript. Javascript runs on pretty much anything with a UI today.

Oh see, I took Java (CS101, and CS102) in college, but it feels like it was a long time ago, and the difference between the two was never well described to me.  Even more reason to not just applaud without understanding what is being said.

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 38
(1,991 Views)

@igagne wrote:

You might be mixing up java and javascript. Javascript runs on pretty much anything with a UI today. You'd be able to run LV on a $35 windows 10 RT Raspberry PI or a cell phone.

On the other hand, it looks like a lot of time has gone into this UI don't you think?

Are those vector graphics?

This looks very much like the UI of the LabVIEW Web UI Builder which used to be a LabVIEW 3.1 feature-wise in a Silverlight coat. Some interesting concepts but rather rough on the edge (if I may use that pradoxical pun) and certainly not using the most natural web framework (see this discussion). LabVIEW in Javascript? Hopefully this can become a reality before long...

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 38
(1,899 Views)

X. wrote:
LabVIEW in Javascript? Hopefully this can become a reality before long...

I think it was 2 years ago (it may have been last year) I heard about NI trying to compile to Javascript.  But compilers are HARD and take A LOT of work.  I have no doubt that NI will get it done.  But I'm not expecting it next year.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 38
(1,829 Views)

X. wrote:

This looks very much like the UI of the LabVIEW Web UI Builder which used to be a LabVIEW 3.1 feature-wise in a Silverlight coat. 

Yeah I actually worked with a guy that used that in a real project.  He must have been the only one.  Still I find it interesting and there is a live demo still online.

http://www.ni.com/uibuilder/developer.htm

Click Launch and it will open in your browser if you have Silverlight installed.

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 38
(1,795 Views)

Thank you as always, LabVIEW community for your passionate commentary and lively debate.  An extra thank you to those who were able to join us live for the NIWeek 2015 keynotes and LabVIEW technical sessions.  I wanted to interject a few thoughts from an "NIer" to clarify a few points.

As it pertains to LabVIEW 2015 and even LabVIEW 2014, some of you have accurately pointed out that in fact, our 2-3 minutes of keynote fame Smiley Happy don't give us ample time to explain the all new capabilities in each release.  We try to select a few that will resonate with our Champions, power users, certified programmers, as well as novices and executives in the audience (not an easy feat!).  So, in addition to the productivity features we demoed (thanks @Darren!) and the almost 9x performance improvements for loading PPLs we discussed, the LabVIEW 2015 readme contains a complete list of new features:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/lvupgrade/labview_features/

We also (very) briefly mentioned in the keynote that we're making more functionality available (4+ toolkits for 2015) free of charge on the LabVIEW Tools Network in addition to everything the community submits.  

Finally, I would like to encourage this group to continue submitting your great ideas on the Idea Exchange. The product management and R&D teams consistently monitor the Idea Exchange and incorporate your feedback in current and future software products.

Keep it coming!

#workingonit

#labview

- Shelley (NI Software Team)

Message 38 of 38
(1,673 Views)