BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI News Question: What kind of instrument would you design?

@PaulG. wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Instruments?

Devices yes.

1) Hand-help cell phone jammer. for use while driving to get the fool who is on their cell phone and riding my bumper to stop talking and start paying attention. Bonus points if it auto-detects the cell-phone usage and jams them without distracting me from from my burger and beer.

2) RearVIEW-Speak Use voice recognition to convert my mumbling into text displayed on a LED marque in the back window. Bonus points for auto-edits so as not to offend any children.

So looking at those two you would think I have a bad comute. It is hard to have a hard comute that is only 12 minutes long but a cell-talking-bumper rider can changes things fast.

Ben

There should be a Manhattan Project on how to stop idiots from using cell phones while driving - but allowing their use if you're not an idiot. Like me. Smiley Tongue Someone close to me can't even talk on the phone while driving without endangering lives. Then she started texting while driving. God help everyone in Columbus, OH. Smiley Mad

Well then let the brainstorming begin!

Similar to breathalyzer (also known as an inhaler of you are B) where you have to breath into the machine to start the car, if the phone is in motion at more than a walking pace, you must first answer a physics question before accepting or placing a call.

Example:

At 25 MPH, how many car lengths will a car travel  while your eyes ar on the screen of your cell phone?

Ben

PS Let me know when the auto-marque goes to market.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 11 of 58
(6,696 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Instruments?

Devices yes.

1) Hand-help cell phone jammer. for use while driving to get the fool who is on their cell phone and riding my bumper to stop talking and start paying attention. Bonus points if it auto-detects the cell-phone usage and jams them without distracting me from from my burger and beer.

2) RearVIEW-Speak Use voice recognition to convert my mumbling into text displayed on a LED marque in the back window. Bonus points for auto-edits so as not to offend any children.

So looking at those two you would think I have a bad comute. It is hard to have a hard comute that is only 12 minutes long but a cell-talking-bumper rider can changes things fast.

Ben

My commute's 15mins by truck, about 8 on the moto.  And yeah, the lady with the dog in her lap, phone in one hand, and coffee in the other... while it's snowing... really?

Got helmet cam video of a lady that damn near took me out just a few months ago... wasn't paying attention to the road, but instead on her GPS.

My personal project (once I get the bike back together...Smiley Indifferent) is to hack my sled's ECU.  CANBus to ECU, dash display, and a few other sensors in the chassis... take that signal, bring it into a smartphone via bluetooth for displaying additional sensors not on the dash (or even just to replace the dash) and datalogging... Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 58
(6,681 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 58
(6,673 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

There should be a Manhattan Project on how to stop idiots from using cell phones while driving - but allowing their use if you're not an idiot. Like me. Smiley Tongue Someone close to me can't even talk on the phone while driving without endangering lives. Then she started texting while driving. God help everyone in Columbus, OH. Smiley Mad

Just recycle the old one. The EMP should stop the mobile phone usage nicely.

Message 14 of 58
(6,632 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

My commute's 15mins by truck, about 8 on the moto.  And yeah, the lady with the dog in her lap, phone in one hand, and coffee in the other... while it's snowing... really?

Follow-up Q

Is it the trip to or from work that ends at a place that sells Corona?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 58
(6,608 Views)

@bcwilson wrote:

If you could design an instrument to do anything you wanted, what would it be?

A specially modified DeLorean would be cool (Seems we are already half way there!). Now where's that Flux capacitor?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 58
(6,573 Views)

Haha, I love the creativity of these applications. Especailly the wireless home monitoring/control, and cell phone jamming while driving.

My ideal application for the VST is a bit more nerdy. I'd use it to experiment with new wireless protocols, trying out things like 1024-QAM!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 58
(6,564 Views)

For those of you who have access to the VST be aware that the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) rules prohibit intentional jamming of licensed radio communications.

Lynn

Message 18 of 58
(6,557 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

For those of you who have access to the VST be aware that the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) rules prohibit intentional jamming of licensed radio communications.

Lynn

When have rules and regulations ever stopped a determined engineer from being able to start a sentence with "Guess what I was able to do the other day..." On the other hand, we are logical people and jail time tends to be a real motivator. 

Message 19 of 58
(6,549 Views)

@Ben wrote:

1)  Bonus points if it auto-detects the cell-phone usage and jams them without distracting me from from my burger and beer.

Did anyone else catch this winner of a quote from Ben? It reminds me of my professor who in college said, "My wife makes me drive our minivan. I hated it, but then I realized the 7 cup holders are great for situations where you're too drunk to walk so you have to drive"

My initial thought was, can he really say that and not get fired?

Message 20 of 58
(6,542 Views)