IF-RIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate the execution time of a SCTL in FPGA VI?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Can anyone guide me that How to calculate the execution time of a SCTL for one iteration in FPGA VI?

Thanks and Regards,

Rashid

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(11,501 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Rashid931

Hello Rashid,

A SCTL will always execute in one tick of the clock that it has been tied to.  So, if you are using a 40 MHz clock, that loop will execute in 25 ns.  If the code cannot complete in that, or if it requires two ticks of the clock to make the computation, your code will not compile, so you are guaranteed that this will always be how long it takes that piece of code to execute.

ColeR
Field Engineer
Message 2 of 4
(11,488 Views)

Hi ColeR,

Thanks for your reply, As you said, the SCTL will execute in 25 ns for a 40 MHz clock. Then if I am using 25 MHz clock with SCTL in FPGA VI of PXIe-5641R, and I have to acquire 2048 samples of a signal, Then how much time it will take to complete the acquisition process? Will it be (1/25MHz)= 4nsec OR (2048/25MHz)=81.92 microsec?

Kindly reply.

Regards,

Rashid

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(11,479 Views)

Rashid,
When doing acquisition you will be reading one I/Q pair per cycle giving you 81.92 microseconds to acquire all 2048 samples.
However, when you are outputting a signal with the 5641R, things are slightly different. The Digital to Analog converter takes alternating I and Q samples. This means that it takes two clock cycles per sample when doing output.

@Rashid931 wrote:

Hi ColeR,

Thanks for your reply, As you said, the SCTL will execute in 25 ns for a 40 MHz clock. Then if I am using 25 MHz clock with SCTL in FPGA VI of PXIe-5641R, and I have to acquire 2048 samples of a signal, Then how much time it will take to complete the acquisition process? Will it be (1/25MHz)= 4nsec OR (2048/25MHz)=81.92 microsec?

Kindly reply.

Regards,

Rashid

Message 4 of 4
(11,470 Views)