Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interactive IVI Simulation

I'm attempting to use the nisDMM driver to simulate a DMM IVI session. I can setup MAX to simulate my DMM and return default numbers, however I cannot get the interactive simulation feature to work at all, i.e. I want a dialog box to popup and prompt the user for a value whenever I take a simulated measurement from the IVI driver.

I've read all the posts and white papers on this but still can't get the interactive simulation feature working. The documentation indicates this feature exists with the class driver and the specific simulation driver. I've tried with both the specific simulation driver and the class simulation driver, and neither will present this edit dialog box.

I've setup the configurable setting INTERACTIVE_SIMULATION=TRUE and placed it into the "initial settings" table in the simulation driver sessions tab for the nisDMM driver. This seems to have no effect.

I've also tried passing INTERACTIVE_SIMULATION=1 as an option string to the initialisewithoptions VI for my DMM, and this just gives an error saying invalid setup string.

I'm using Max 4.4.1f0, Labview 8.5.1, IVI compliance pack 3.2, windows XP professional.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,893 Views)

Hi Tom,

I used to manipulate the simulation driver successfully on MAX 5.1.0, LabVIEW 2009SP1 and ICP 4.4 on Win XP sp3.

Here are some notes according to my experience. Wish they could be helpful to you.

1. Althought you are using simulation driver, we should still install a IVI Spcific driver in proper type e.g. IviDmm, hp34401a.

2. In MAX, create a logical name that point to that driver session you just installed (e.g. hp34401a)

2012-06-20_MAX_LogName.png

3. Active the nisFgen simulation driver in Driver Session's 'Simulate With' editor

2012-06-20_MAX_DrvSes.png

4. Open LabVIEW, and in the Help >> Find Example... dialog, enter “IVI”, get the IviDmm class driver example and run it.

5. The interactive dialog will appear when you invoke IviDmm_initialize.vi

2012-06-20_Interactive_Dlg.png

2012-06-20_ClassExample_Dlg.png

Thanks,

Charles

Message 2 of 7
(3,885 Views)

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the slow reply - been working on another job. Thankyou for the excellent detailed response 🙂

I've tried similar method to your description, except I'm using the nisDMM as the specific simulation driver because I'm using the pxi-4070. I've also tried initialising the simulation mode using both the "InitialiseWithOptions" VI, or by setting the Max nisDMM simulation driver session "INTERACTIVE_SIMULATION" initial settings to TRUE. Neither setup shows the interactive dialog box. However I know the simulation driver is loading correctly because it returns the default random number reading results.

Regards,

Tom 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,861 Views)

Dear Tom,

Could you verify following settings in your machine? (Use MAX to check the settings)

1. A Logical Name node is created and "Driver Session" is set to your pxi-4070 driver session.

2. In your pxi-4070 driver session, "Simulate With" is set to nisDMM.

3. You are using IviDmm Initialize VI to run your program.

(Make sure you clicked Save IVI Configuration button after you changed your settings in MAX)

No further settings are required..

If the problem remains, could you send us your IviConfigurationStore.xml file? It's located in: 

C:\ProgramData\IVI Foundation\IVI\

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,851 Views)

Hi aTammy,

Very sorry for the late reply - been called onto another job for a few months. I've partly solved my  problem with interactive simulation. 

I have now been experimenting with an ni scope card, and using the niScope IVI class causes simulation to return a random waveform. However if I switch the to the IVIScope class the interactive simulation dialog boxes appear as expected. Is it possible that the ni IVI drivers are not designed to run interactive simulations?

Regards,

Tom 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,806 Views)
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. You use the IVIScope class with the NI-Scope driver and it does not work but if you use IVIScope with a different driver it does? What is the different driver?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,797 Views)

Hi Tom,

What you see makes sence.

IVIScope class driver is providing fundamental functions for all scopes that comply with IVI.

NIScope class driver is more specific for NIScope, which have more advanced functions and have their own simulation. There is possibility that they do not support interactive simulation or, they are providing another method(rather than UI) for interactivity.

We need further confirm about this.

Regards,

Tammy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,794 Views)