Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performing FDD via GPIB control of Agilent E4438C

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys, I am very new to Labview, but very interested in using it to control my Agilent E4438C signal generator. Im generating a signal at 2.7 GHz with 20 MHz bandwidth. Im interested in doing FDD, therefore I planned to generate another signal at 2.4 GHz.\

The problem is, I only have one of this generator. The question is-

-Can I use labview to control the signal generator to generate a signal at 2.7 GHz and store in labview, and generate another signal at 2.4 GHz and store it. Then multiplex them in labview itself and then control/inject the signal again in the signal generator for transmission. 

Im generating this signal with using Agilent signal studio software. 

Please advice on this. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,757 Views)
Solution
Accepted by thavamaran

Can I use labview to control the signal generator to generate a signal at 2.7 GHz and store in labview?

Yes

Generate another signal at 2.4 GHz and store it?

Yes

Then multiplex them in labview itself?

Yes

and then control/inject the signal again in the signal generator for transmission.

Unfortunatly no.

As i understand it, a signal generator or function generator can generate a signal that is a function of time. For example: Sin(2*pi*t*f)

Where f needs to be defined, as in your 2.4 or 2.7 GHz signals. Because what we would want to do is combine the signals to give a resultant of the 2.4 and 2.7 GHz signals, it has no single f conponent. so we cannot specuify that to the signal generator. 

How ever there is somthing called an Arbitary Signal Generator, where you can pass it some waveform data, and this can generte the signal. Labview can certainly gather your two signals, conbine the two, and then pass this to an Arbitary Signal Generator. But unfortunatly the signal generator cannot do the job.

So I guess there are a number of options.

Buy an Arbutary Signal Generator...... or another Signal Generator.

Sorry i could'nt of been more help, but if you have any further question, issues or points give us a shout.

Regards

R

Richard S
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments UK&Ireland
Message 2 of 2
(2,736 Views)