ni.com checkout is currently experiencing issues.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the serial communication instead of the USB ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone !

I'm using the LIFO with an arduino uno connected with an USB cable, and it works properly, but I tryed to use the serial communication (Rx and Tx pin) instead of the USB cable, and it's not working anymore.

After some seconds I received the error code 5002, unable to establish the communication with arduino, in init.vi

Maybe there are some parameters to change, but I see "serial/USB" as the same choice of communication...

My electrical connexion seems to be working, I tested it with a simple arduino program (serial.println and serial.read).

It also looks that I only can transfer an arduino program with USB connexion, and not with my serial connexion.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,098 Views)

LIFA is written to use the USB cable which goes through a USB-to-TTL Serial chip on the Arduino.  As far as I know, if you bypass this chip, it will no longer show up as a COM port in your computer which is required for LIFA to work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,762 Views)

Hum... That's a problem...

There is a distance of 40 meters between my computer and the arduino. As you know the maximum distance for the USB protocol is 5 meters, and 4 repeters = 20m...

Is you see any solution, I woudl be grateful

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,762 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Silfali

oh my god I found the solution !

It's absolutly stupid : just reset the arduino between starting LIFO and receiving the error.

I don't knew why but it's working...

Thanks Nathan_B for your time, and see you everybody

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,762 Views)