LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acoustic AM SSB generation

Solved!
Go to solution

Can the vi in file (mt_nifgen_am_ssb_signal_gen.vi) be used to generate an acoustic a AM SSB signal through a pxi 5401 and labview 2012 student?

If not can someone recomend another example vi the above vi would cut development time by 80% , as I am a just starting and have no experience with labview. If it can be made to work, how? I'll ask for help in wireing in the sound card later. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,613 Views)

Groundflight,

I am assuming you were looking at the example here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5599#0requirements

The modulation toolkit will create the modulated waveform for your arbitrary waveform generator, however this capability is not available for the NI 5401. The NI 5401 is only operate in Standard Function mode or Frequency List mode.

Regards,

Jason L.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,564 Views)

Sir,

I have several function generators as well as the pxi 5401, do you think the AM modulation vi could be modified to accept an imput from the sound card, either mike or wav, filtered to an AM/SSB USB signal and and output from the pxi 5401 to be amplified and transduced? I am trying to investigate farfield acoustic spontanious demodulation of various nonlinear acoustic signals as well as the hetrodyning with ambiant soundscape.I had to take a pass on this semester and go to work to help with the bills but I absolutely cannot stop my project. Can you please help?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,555 Views)
Solution
Accepted by groundflight5150

Hi Groundflight,

This would depend on which function generators you have available to you. The 5401 is a standard function generator that would not be able to write out arbitrary waveforms. In otherwords, it can only generate sine waves, square waves, trianglewaves, etc. The amplitudes and frequencies are adjustable, however only in software. This means, that you can change these parameters, but only when you program them to do so. The pitfall with this is that you will be limited by your computer resources and clock rates.

With an Arbitrary Waveform Generator, you can predefine the waveform you want to output, load this waveform onto the card's onboard memory, and generate. The Modulation Toolkit will help you create the waveform you want to load/output onto the arbitrary waveform generator.

The Modulation Toolkit is typically used with our RF hardware (AM, FM, PSK, FSK, MSK, PAM, etc. RF signals) however it should be able to be used with our Arbitrary Waveform cards as well. With the Modulation Toolkit, you provide the baseband information or the message signal that needs to be modulated with the carrier. This is specified by the waveform type in LabVIEW. You would need to convert your sound files to this type, however I have no experience in doing this.

Regards,

Jason L. 

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,538 Views)

Can ou tell me how I can use the two channels of a pci 5102 as a signal imput to an AM up converter?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,494 Views)

Hi groundflight,

The 5102 is actually a digitizer, so it would be an input connected to a downconverter instead of an upconverter.  Are you planning on using this device to acquire rather than generate?  The connections would depend greatly on the downconverter that you are trying to connect to, the 5102 is not compatible with certain downconverters.

Thanks,

David B

National Instruments

Applications Engineer

Message 6 of 10
(3,475 Views)

Can the pci/pxi 5411 arb be used in real time with a microphone as the inteligence imput or from a recording?if not which arb will work? I am using labview student 2012.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,431 Views)

Hi groundflight51,

Can you explain a little more about what you want the arb to do?  Will it be playing back a record from a file?  What frequencies will you need to play your signal back at?  Can you explain more about what you mean by "intelligence input"?

Thanks,

David B

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,419 Views)

I would like to imput the intelligence (voice and music) through a sound mixing board for multiple imput control to a vi that up converts to an AM SSB acoustic signal, amplify and transduce the signal to explore farfield spontainious non linear acoustic demodulation. There is a vi for this but I bought the wrong ARB a PXI 5401. I need a real time up conversion, continious up convert not dependant on a file.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,400 Views)
Solution
Accepted by groundflight5150

Hi groundflight51...,

The Modulation Toolkit VI "MT Modulate AM (SSB)" will be able to upconvert a message waveform of complex double precision floating point numbers, but you will need to provide your audio data in this format. You could try using the Sound Input VIs palette, which will take audio from a sound card and output it as a waveform data type, then feed it into MT Modulate AM (SSB) to produce your waveform.

An arbitrary wavform generator such as the 5421 (but not the 5412) will allow you stream waveforms in real-time, but not at the full 100 MS/s update rate.

Brian G.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,380 Views)