LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having DVR/In-place-element structure bug (error 1556) in LabVIEW 2023

Solved!
Go to solution

@sdusing wrote:

It's also worth noting, that this behavior only started happening after running a different part of our codebase. When we closed out of LabVIEW and reopened just these vi's again, we couldn't get the error. But the 1556 error is still cropping up when we try to run our full application... it just changes when and where. For these reasons, I'm fairly confident it's a bug in the LabVIEW Q3 release.

I'm fairly confident the different part of your codebase calls VIs asynchronously (by ACBR or "Run VI"), and one of those VIs is creating your DVR and then stopping, which invalidated the DVR it created and triggered your 1556 error.  Your bug, not NI's.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30
(1,332 Views)

@drjdpowell wrote:

I'm fairly confident the different part of your codebase calls VIs asynchronously (by ACBR or "Run VI"), and one of those VIs is creating your DVR and then stopping, which invalidated the DVR it created and triggered your 1556 error.  Your bug, not NI's.

Hi Dr. Powell, If you look at the example code (gif) I posted you'll see we demonstrate the issue with really just 2 vi's and one is a simple subvi of the other. The vi on the left is directly called by the vi on the right (it's the first subvi on the error wire). There is no calling asynchronously happening here. My comment was simply to say that we tried to run our full application, got errors, stopped all running code.  These two vi's were shown as idle/not running.  We then ran the vi on the right, which calls the vi on the left.  The code is pretty simple, and you can see from the gif that it just creates a DVR ref, passes it out, the ref immediately goes into an IPE DVR read/write, which errors. Therefore, I'm not sure your comment still makes sense here, but please let me know if I'm overlooking an important detail.

sdusing_0-1691196702552.png

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 30
(1,301 Views)

Hmm, what does that "Keep here to persist in memory in Top-Level Callers" VI do?  That could execute before your IPE structure does.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 30
(1,281 Views)

That right, it could execute before or after... but it's unrelated code (just ensuring there's a queue that's made). I don't see how this could have any impact on the DVR.

DVR or IPE LV2023 Q3 Bug fgv.gif

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 30
(1,262 Views)

You've convinced me this is a likely bug in LabVIEW, since I can't see how the DVR could be invalidated, given no other code is running.  It appears something has gone wrong with the DVR reference.  

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 30
(1,244 Views)

Got the exact same thing when I upgraded yesterday. However, after mass-compile -> force-recompile -> mass-compile I don't get it anymore (I hope).

(Instead, my exe build crashes no matter what, so now I regret upgrading, but that's another story)

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 16 of 30
(1,201 Views)

@thols wrote:

Got the exact same thing when I upgraded yesterday. However, after mass-compile -> force-recompile -> mass-compile I don't get it anymore (I hope).

(Instead, my exe build crashes no matter what, so now I regret upgrading, but that's another story)

"Clean" the Build specs. That forces a new Distribution from your Mass Compiled Source during the build.  Your crashes will go away.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 30
(1,194 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@thols wrote:

"Clean" the Build specs. That forces a new Distribution from your Mass Compiled Source during the build.  Your crashes will go away.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Thanks, I did that already and it made it work once, then back to crashing. I will post another thread if I can narrow it down.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30
(1,178 Views)
Solution
Accepted by sdusing

This problem is likely related to Bug 2411021, which requires a recompile of the code to fix the issue. Note that this should have happened transparently, but could potentially be an issue if some of the code (but not all) has been compiled in LV 2023 Q3.

@sdusing, can you mass compile your entire codebase and confirm that that the issue no longer occurs?

Message 19 of 30
(1,165 Views)

@Darren wrote:

@sdusing, can you mass compile your entire codebase and confirm that that the issue no longer occurs?

I've tried three times last night, but LabVIEW keeps hanging partway through the compilation process and never finishes. I kicked it off last night as well before bed, noted where it was in the compilation process, then work up this morning to find that no progress had been made. Is there anything that would cause the mass compilation process to hang?  My project is fairly large and I feel like this has often happens (in previous versions of LabVIEW as well) when trying to mass compile large sets of code. I realize I might be opening up a different can of worms.

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 30
(1,125 Views)