LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any VIs that support SSH protocol?

I have been up against a wall with this one for a while now. The units under test that I write programs for are running Linux as their OS. When ever I want to communicate with the Linux OS on those units I have to use the serial port which I hate, because of speed and unreliablity. It would be nice to be able to SSH to the Linux OS and communicate using that protocol. Is anyone aware of SSH being available, stand alone or part of a tool kit etc?

Thanks,
Troy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,032 Views)
Searching SSH came up with many posts on the board, this link may be of interest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,027 Views)
I saw this one as well. I was just curious about any others. Thanks for the response.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,014 Views)

The link http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/c49602a79827ddbe86256ce9005757d5

is about using Putty. I used it to connect, but then what? The exec.vi exits and the connection is gone. There is supposedly a scriptfile created by adding "commands" in a control string on the front panel. Using anything in that field seems to generate errors, but the error doesn't get returned from the exec.vi

So where are the SSH VI's ? Internet Toolkit? I am using the full professional development version of LabVIEW 10. Does it not include the SSH VI's?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,642 Views)

As far as I know there are no standard SSH VIs anywhere. At least at the time that I started this thread there were not. I came up with a solution that I have been using ever since using the program Plink that is installed with Putty. Please take a look at the VI I have attached. It is pretty straight forward. You enter the location of plink.exe, the username, the password, and the host and you can send any command and get a response just as if you were connected via an SSH client. It has been working great for years. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,630 Views)

Unfortunately, I am still on version 10. Your VI is version 11.

I tried the Putty plink.exe method but saw no way to login after the connection is made. I do not know what type of commands to send before the session is fully logged-in. After which, I know the commands for the device I need to chat with. Once the plink executes, the device is waiting for a username, but I cannot enter that since exec.vi is still running. Of course, when it isn't running there is no connection anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,616 Views)

Here you can find below the example attached above for LabVIEW 2010.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,592 Views)

Have you been able to open the VI now that you have it saved in the correct version? You should be able to see now that you have to send everything all at the same time. This process basically opens the session, sends the command(s), waits for a response(s), and then closes the session. It is not like a telnet session where you can open it and then interactively send commands as well as get responses. As stated before the VI I have sent you I have been using for years and has been working just fine.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,572 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,554 Views)