cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black lines across 3D surface plot

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, all!

In my current application I have a 3D surface graph on which I plot power spectrum data in a waterfall display.  I made some structural changes to the program; the data values passed to the graph are the same.  Now all I get are black lines across the plot, and it seems to slow down my program as well.  The surface graph was working before, but it displayed these symptoms after a system crash.  I deleted the original control, thinking it might've been corrupted somehow, but I'm still seeing the problem on the new graph.  Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

Thanks!

P.S.  Is it normal, not being able to click and drag a 3D plot ActiveX container across a front panel?

Slowpoke
CLAD (believe it or not!), using LabVIEW 8.5

They don't call me "Slowpoke" for nothin'!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,900 Views)

Hi Slowpoke,

you can click and drag a 3D plot ActiveX container but its sometimes difficult to get it correctly with the mouse.

Can you attach your VI with the black lines?

EmilS 

EmilS
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,881 Views)

Hi EmilS,

Here is a demo VI I created using the 3D surface reference copied from my project (3D Surface 2), plus a new one I created on this demo (3D Surface).  The behavior of the copied plot is identical to that of the plot in my project.

Thanks!

Slowpoke

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,851 Views)

Hi Slowpoke,

I took a look at the VI you attached. The scale of the x-axis on the 2nd 3D Graph control was much, much smaller than the x-axis scale for the 1st graph. I right-clicked the 2nd graph, selected CWGraph3D>>Properties, and changed the x-axis range to 0-1000. Then, when I ran the VI, the graph were identical. If you try changing the scale, do you get the graph you expect?

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,839 Views)

Hi LaRisa,

I changed the x-axis scale on the demo VI and it worked fine.  However, when I tried to change the scale on my original surface plot, the scale reverted to the miniscule range when I ran the program.  As it happens, I've had the same problem with changing the other plot attributes before, and have managed to fix them--somehow--until now.  Maybe it's gremlins.  Smiley Wink  Or maybe some part of my block diagram has become corrupted...?

Thanks!

Slowpoke

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,809 Views)

I should note that just deleting and recreating the surface plot on my original VI doesn't seem to work.  Thanks!

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,807 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Slowpoke

Slowpoke,

Offering helpful suggestions is tricky since I can't find a way to reproduce the behavior you describe. I guess we're Gremlin-free here in Austin. Smiley Wink

I guess you'd want to double-check that you aren't changing the axes properties anywhere in your code. There is a VI called Axes Properies that allows you to programmatically set the auto-scale property for each axis of the 3D Graph (Graphics and Sound>>3D Graph Properties). You might play around with those settings. In LabVIEW 8.6 actually, this property is expanded to include programmatic setting of the max and min values for each axis. There was a lot of 3D Graph functionality added; if you use these graphs often, you might want to look into an upgrade.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 7 of 9
(3,789 Views)

Hi LaRisa,

Yep, that was it.  One of the x-axis properties comes from a cluster, and I did not examine closely which cluster element I had chosen to unbundle.  Amazing how easy it is to look at something incorrect and believe nothing's wrong.  Smiley Tongue Guess I got thrown off by that strange "black line" behavior.

Oh, well.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: they don't call me "Slowpoke" for nothing!  Thanks again!

Slowpoke 

Slowpoke

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,689 Views)
Happy to help!
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,672 Views)