LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datasocket Server vs. Shared Variables

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is better - Datasocket Server vs. Shared variables?  I have a table on my application that has text indicating application status, information, warning and debug messages and would like to view it remotley over a network.  The old way was to use the datasocket server and bind it to the other control.  Is the new shared variable engine more efficient?  These machines are at different sites.

John
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,384 Views)
Hi John,

It definitely seems as if you want to gauge user experience on this issue, but since you've had no response I'll chime in and give the "National Instruments view" on the DataSocket/Shared Variable debate.

Shared Variables were created to expand the functionality of DataSocket and simplify the programming style required to pass information between networked computers. We have extensive literature on this topic and the most pertinent is linked here.

I hope some users will post to this forum to give you a less formed response than you get from me, but I am more than willing to answer more specifically if you have any more questions regarding this issue.

| Michael K | Project Manager | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments |

Message 2 of 3
(3,357 Views)

The question is sorta like Which is better, TCP/IP or IP." One is just a subset of the other.

Shared variables are just another way to get at the datasocket data.

If your app is static and you just want to get it working, shared variables will work OK.

If you need to change the URL on the fly then go with data sockets. Attempting to do the same thing with shared variables can set your head "a-spinnin".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,352 Views)