LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic VI Problems

I have a project that I have upgraded from LV8.6 to 2012 and the dynamic call of a vi no longer works. I am aware of the path issues between vi and executables and it always worked in 8.6.

Have any project or build settings changed in 2012 that would prevent this subvi from loading (and displaying its front panel)?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,704 Views)

I can't fully remember, but check what the path looks like with the executable, but placing a path indicator on the front panel, build & run it.  I seem to recall there was some change with paths...  Not sure though..

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,692 Views)

Check/test change the reentrancy type of the VI under properties->execution.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,684 Views)

There was a change to the file layout of an executables beginning in LV 2009.

Please see this link

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 14
(3,679 Views)

When porting an older project I would recommend you maintain the 8.x file layout to prevent a lot of code changes. You can find the checkbox option under Build Properties...Advanced..."Use LabVIEW 8.x file layout".

Message 5 of 14
(3,672 Views)

Thanks Steve & Bill..

That's what I recalled.  Glad you guys refreshed my memory..  🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,658 Views)

Thanks for all of the comments. I had already been through all of the above suggestions before posting but no joy!!

I have now created a simple vi and call it at the same point I call my original. The new vi opens up and runs OK but the original one does not.

Something must have 'broken' during the recompile. Both vi's sit in the same directory and use the same path call (with different vi names appended).

I will continue to scratch my head!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,629 Views)

Most likely, your dynamic VI has dependencies, which are not deployed properly.

So check:

- Presence of depending modules

- Version of depending modules.

What is the error btw? Is it something like error "7: File not Found" or something with "VI not executable"?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,625 Views)

Probably should have included the error info!

Error 42 occurred at Open VI Reference in Top Level.vi

Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  Generic error.

An error occurred loading VI 'test.vi'.
LabVIEW load error code 3: Could not load front panel.

VI Path: ........................\test.vi

My original vi (called datalogger viewer.vi) sits in the same folder as test.vi. If I call test.vi it works, if I call datalogger viewer.vi it fails (using the same code but just changing the vi name).

I have created a new vi and pasted the code into that and called the new vi but that also fails. I have renamed datalogger... to test.vi and that fails.

I found a similar thread that suggested adding a line into labview.ini and then creating a new vi and saving it (then removing the ini line) but that did not work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,609 Views)

Are you able to run datalogger viewer.vi by itself?  Maybe it needs to be recompiled..

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,606 Views)