LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 6 occurred when building an Executable in Labview 2009

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to build an executable which uses vi's from the Spectral Measurements Toolkit.  I have already been able to build a source distribution which enables me to call my application using a run-time engine so I know that all the dependencies are correct in the project file.  However, if I try to build this as an executable I get the following message:

An error occurred while saving the following file:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\vi.lib\addons\Spectral Measurements Toolset\LVSupport\SMT niScope Utilities\SMT niScope Dependent\SMT Config niScope for Spectrum(auto).vi

Invoke Node in AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Close_Reference.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build_from_Wizard.vi->AB_UI_Frmwk_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_UI_FRAMEWORK.vi->AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi->AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi.ProxyCaller
<APPEND>
Method Name: <b>Save:Target Instrument</b>

The details of the message are:

Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 6 occurred at AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Close_Reference.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build_from_Wizard.vi -> AB_UI_Frmwk_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_UI_FRAMEWORK.vi -> AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi -> AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Generic file I/O error.
=========================
NI-488:  I/O operation aborted.

I've tried mass compiling the vi's in the ..\vi.lib\addons\Spectral Measurements Toolset\LVSupport\SMT niScope Utilities\SMT niScope Dependent directory, but for some reason the installer still tries to save to this location during the build and fails.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,168 Views)
Solution
Accepted by David_Jackson

Hi David,

I built an executable with that VI, and I could not reproduce the problem.  Have you looked for and found the VI in the specified directory?  A couple of things to try:

-Use the LabVIEW 8.x file structure.  This can be found in the advanced menu of the build.

-Try building an executable with just that VI.  That will tell us if it is a symptom or a cause.  

Nick Keel 

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments

Nick Keel
Product Manager - NI VeriStand and Model Interface Toolkit
National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(4,153 Views)

David,

I ran into this problem yesterday, and it looks like the same thing is happening here.   Windows has a maximum file path length of 260 characters.  If your destination directory is at a path that is already several levels deep, then files may be getting created by App Builder that have paths longer than the legal limit, in which case you would get error 6.  Try setting your destination directory to a short path such as "C:\myapp\", then see if the problem goes away.

Chris M 

Message 3 of 7
(4,150 Views)

Thanks Nick and Chris for your suggestions.  The file path length was well within limits (only 100 characters).  However, changing the build to use the LabVIEW 8.x file structure as suggested by Nick solved the problem.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,144 Views)

Unfortunately I run into this error with every application I build, besides the most basic ones. I have resolved it by using the 8.x mode in the build specification, but I am dissapointed to still have all these VIs beside my executable.

Could it have something to do with Endevo GOOP?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,001 Views)

I don't think that the Endevo GOOP would cause the problems.  The only real difference is where the exe looks for files.  This error can come from using relative file paths in your VI. Below is a link that describes the differencebetween the two build structures:

Error 7 When Running My Executable Built in LabVIEW 2009

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EEE8A5650DAC28558625762F0070A384?OpenDocument

I know it discusses a different error, but the important thing is that it explains the difference between the two builds.

If you are using any relative file paths, the problem may lie there.

Nick Keel 

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments

Nick Keel
Product Manager - NI VeriStand and Model Interface Toolkit
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,989 Views)

FYI

I do not get this error when building an executable, but do get it when trying to build a source distribution (LabVIEW 8.5).  I am trying to build a source distribution in order to transfer this code from a LabVIEW 8.5 32-bit environment to a LabVIEW 2009 64-bit environment. I have absolutely no idea what is causing it and there is no good way to track it down (I have 2500 VIs in this project).  What I have decided to do is to duplicate the heirarchy to an LLB (which scares the heck out of me since so many VIs), then transfer to this to the other computer, and one by one solve the problems such as missing VIs as I need to.  (By the way, I tried to duplicate the heirarchy to a folder but that also will not work - get a few cryptic messages and I never get the new folder of VIs).

Don

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,685 Views)