LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I programmatically launch LabVIEW's "Compare VIs..." function on two VIs?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have many pairs of VIs to compare, and I have their paths ready in a text file. I have to go through LabVIEW's "Tools >> Compare >> Compare..." menu each time to compare a pair, then scroll through the list of VIs in memory to select VIs to compare. That gets old fast.

How can I automate this?

Message 1 of 13
(3,491 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bruce008

Do you use any form of source control?

TortoiseSVN allows you to select LVCompare as your diff viewer for .vi files.

This makes it pretty easy.

VSI's TSVN Toolkit makes it even easier.

Message 2 of 13
(3,486 Views)

The setup for SVN is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe" %mine %base -nobdcosm -nobdpos

So I imagine (haven't tried it yet) that if you substitute your file paths for %mine and %base, then it should work.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 13
(3,464 Views)

You could just run the vi

!1-1.png

Ah I didn't read that right.  Hmm no terminals.  that is very sadSmiley Embarassed

Go next door to procmphier.llb and run that compare *(it also compares the file 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,458 Views)

Thanks Taki1999, that worked perfectly the first time!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,450 Views)

Hi,

I was also looking for this same funcionality.

However, I tried to install SVI TSVN Toolkit in VIPM and it says TortoiseSVN needs to be installed first. But where do I install that? I don't see it in the list of packages in VIPM. Where do I get it?

I have LabVIEW 2013 SP1 (the latest version released in Europe) Full Development System.

By the way, I saw the LVCompare in the Shared folder, but I don't see it in the Functions palette to drop it on block diagram. I had to use only the PNG supplied above by Jeff.

And most of all, I don't see "Compare" option in the Tools menu.

Did I miss to install something in my base system?

Thanks ahead!

Vaibhav
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,360 Views)
Did you Google tortoise? The main page; http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/

The comparison tool comes with the professional version.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,354 Views)

@Vaibhav wrote:

Hi,

I was also looking for this same funcionality.

However, I tried to install SVI TSVN Toolkit in VIPM and it says TortoiseSVN needs to be installed first. But where do I install that? I don't see it in the list of packages in VIPM. Where do I get it?

I have LabVIEW 2013 SP1 (the latest version released in Europe) Full Development System.

By the way, I saw the LVCompare in the Shared folder, but I don't see it in the Functions palette to drop it on block diagram. I had to use only the PNG supplied above by Jeff.

And most of all, I don't see "Compare" option in the Tools menu.

Did I miss to install something in my base system?

Thanks ahead!

Tortoise SVN is a source control program.  It really has nothing to do with LabVIEW other than the fact that we use TSVN to control our software updates.  You can download the installer here:http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

The LVCompare is an executable in the shared folder.  And that VI Jeff pulled is not in the palettes.  You can use the command line to call it with the parameters to point to your VIs that need compared.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,348 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Did you Google tortoise? The main page; http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/

The comparison tool comes with the professional version.

Thanks for the reply.

No, I didn't google, because I thought everything LabVIEW is found on the forums. 🙂

So, does it mean my Full Dev. System version cannot have "Tools>Compare" menu item?

Vaibhav
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,330 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:
Tortoise SVN is a source control program.  It really has nothing to do with LabVIEW other than the fact that we use TSVN to control our software updates.  You can download the installer here:http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

The LVCompare is an executable in the shared folder.  And that VI Jeff pulled is not in the palettes.  You can use the command line to call it with the parameters to point to your VIs that need compared.

Thanks for the link. I installed tortoisesvn and also I could install the SVI TSVN Toolkit. But that doesn't change anything. I still don't see how I can compare the two VIs.

I have seen that LVCompare in the shared folder. Do I only have to do it from the command prompt? Tried but doesn't look like the solution.

Vaibhav
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,329 Views)