LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install many executable on the same PC with different names

Hello,

I'm trying to install several executables with different names in the same computer but at the end of install process the message is : "an higher  or existing version is already installed in this computer"

I create the Executable and Setup with LabVIEW Application Builder and install the executable in the same Program Files root directory with a different sub-directory for each executable as this : Program Files-->MyProject-->SubProjet1 with exe1/SubProject2 with exe2 etc...

My OS is WinXP pro SP2 and I work with LabVIEW 8.5.

Thanks and regards,

Armindo PINTO

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,422 Views)

Hi Armindo,

Thank you for using the NI forums! 

From what I understand, you are trying to create multiple executables of a vi project to co-exist on the same PC. Any time you re-use the LabView 8.x project file, it will generate install package with the same product ID number. That means, if the deployed PC has the previous version installed, which had been generated from the same project file, the new install package will remove the previous version and overwrite it with the new version. Or as in your case, not allow you to install lower versions of the executable. That means, the previous version will be no longer available on the deployed PC. If you are creating an upgraded version to the product this is fine.

However, if you need to re-use the LabView 8.x project file and generate a new product, which can potentially co-exist with the previous on the end user PC, you need to generate a new installer with a different product ID number. One of the way to do it:

1. Copy existing project file (e.g. "name1.lvproj") under a different name (e.g. "name2.lvproj")
  2. Open the new instance of the project
  3.  Expand the "Build Specifications"
  4.  Right click on the installer specification, e.g. "name1 Installer"
  5. Select "Duplicate" from the menu
  6. You can now delete the instance "name1 Installer" and rename the "Copy of name1 Installer" to a suitable name, e.g. "name2 Installer"
  7.  Make changes that are needed between the two versions, for example:
    • Select a new source VI
    • Build a new exe file
    • Reflect the new exe file in the "name2 Installer"
    • Make any other changes needed in "name2 Installer", for example different documentation files included in install, change in the target install directories, changes in the start menu shortcuts. etc.
  8. Build the install.

Please let me know if this solves the issue, and let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Ashish Naik
Automotive Business Development Manager
National Instruments UK
Message 2 of 3
(2,403 Views)

Thank you Ashish N,

the problem is solved. I just follow your instructions. I can now install many executables (with different names) of my project in the same computer.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,379 Views)