LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed LV 8.6 - now NO version of LV will startup!

Solved!
Go to solution
First post state Windows XP
Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,669 Views)

CMal wrote:

Ryan,

I believe the cutoff is 99, so I would bet this is the cause of your issue. 

Well, that's a very interesting number. (Although Monk wouldn't like it. Smiley Very Happy)

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,669 Views)

Sorry,  Thought I saw XPS

Sounds like you might have to a full reinstall 😞

Do you have another machine that is already setup like this?  

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,665 Views)

cut off is 99???    You think they would have just made it a really big number do there would be no issues.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,633 Views)

CMal - I was unable to download the License Manager that you linked on the Knowledge Base article - however I simply went in to my Add Remove Programs and uninstalled some of the older versions of CVI components that I do not need with the latest CVI parts being installed.

This reduced the number of licenses in the Licenses Folder to below 99 and now my 8.6, and 8.5.1 are working!

Thank you very much!

I am curious why such a low number of license files was set as the cap?  Especially given that a lot of us (maybe my perception is incorrect) have multiple versions of LV installed to support our various customers.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,611 Views)

RVallieu wrote:

I am curious why such a low number of license files was set as the cap?  Especially given that a lot of us (maybe my perception is incorrect) have multiple versions of LV installed to support our various customers.

I agree that number is very small, but trust me Ryan*, you are not typical!

Ben

* For those of you that do not work at DSA, Ryan is one of our rising stars and our most recent CLA.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 16 of 21
(1,606 Views)

Ryan,

I'm attaching the utility in a zip file, but you shouldn't need to use it if you've already moved enough files to fix the problem.

This is simply a bug (CAR 112631), so I don't know that anyone chose a value of 99 as the limit.

Chris M

Message 17 of 21
(1,583 Views)
I actually think someone did choose 99 as a the limit.  I forget that labview started in the 1980s, and it sounds like a really old item that was thought "who would have more than 99 liscence files" then.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,579 Views)
FYI:  This is due to a hard-coded buffer size limit in the third-party software that we leverage for activation.  We apologize for this issue, and it is a high priority for us to resolve this for future software.
Cheers,

David Goldberg
National Instruments
Software R&D
Message 19 of 21
(1,541 Views)
Thanks for the follow-up.  It's interesting to know that.
Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,497 Views)