LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV2017 built EXE crashes - Channels behave bad??

I am sad to say that I found a bug in what seems to be the implementation of the Messenger channel that appeared in LabVIEW 2017 (it works fine in LabVIEW 2016).  This seems to appear only in Development mode (a Broken Arrow and incorrect code generation or a "hang", cure-able by loading VIs a few at a time in memory).  

I've always had trouble with LabVIEW 2017 (I've only managed to load it safely on a single "test" machine), so now that I know a CAR has been generated, I'm content to stick with LabVIEW 2016, which thus far has given me no trouble with Channels, both in Development mode and in built Applications.

I wish I didn't keep "breaking" my favorite new LabVIEW feature ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(838 Views)

Thanks for the extra info Bob, but I am still not convinced the crashes caused by Channels in my app. And I only use Streams and Tags, but no Messengers.

Lets see what SP1 will bring to me... 🙂

By the way, did you have time to have a look at my VI? I doubt that this particular VI causes the crashes, but I am interested in other people's opinion. Is it ok to use a Queue like that (1D array type makes Queue buffer check tricky, since the variable array size)...

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(835 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Thanks for the extra info Bob, but I am still not convinced the crashes caused by Channels in my app. And I only use Streams and Tags, but no Messengers.

Lets see what SP1 will bring to me... 🙂

By the way, did you have time to have a look at my VI? I doubt that this particular VI causes the crashes, but I am interested in other people's opinion. Is it ok to use a Queue like that (1D array type makes Queue buffer check tricky, since the variable array size)...

SP1 did not affect the "Messenger Bug".

I apologize for not (yet) having looked at your code.  I'm sitting on a soon-to-vanish couch in my home, surrounded by boxes soon to disappear into a large truck and to magically re-appear a few days later and a few hundred miles away, with only my laptop (and a still-asleep wife) for company ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(830 Views)

Good luck with the moving! 🙂 For me it comes at end of June, 1000 km  Karlsruhe--> Budapest 😄   <end of offtopic>

SP1 upgrade done, now installing SP1 f1 patch...Lets see...

I just wonder, if my EXE app crashes will continue, running my app from the IDA could solve it? Or maybe the IDE can provide more detailed error/crash feedback...? 

Previously, the crashes just stopped without any obvious reason (as they started), when I started to use a different laptop to build and run the EXE...I do not like these non-reproducable crashes... 🙂

Edit:

after installing SP1 and f1 patch, I re-opened my project, and the top level VI. LabVIEW regenerated all of the Channel instances, took a while. Then, I went into the EXE build settings, and turned on "debugging", finally rebuilt the project. I started to app (it runs 24/7). Lets see...

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(823 Views)

Arrrrghhh -- you left us hanging!  Did it work?  [The only two answers are the definite, "No", and the indefinite, "At least this time ..."].

Bob Smiley Wink Schor

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(809 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Arrrrghhh -- you left us hanging!  Did it work?  [The only two answers are the definite, "No", and the indefinite, "At least this time ..."].

Bob Smiley Wink Schor

No, the crashes only happen when there are no human eyes in the room, and when the full Moon develops! 😄

Ok, being serious now. My application runs mostly fine since last summer/autumn, 24/7 so non stop. Crash never happened after launch. This year i had 3 crashes so far: end of February, and two in this month in two weeks interval. 

So i just cannot reliably reproduce the crash. I monitor RAM usage, it is concrete solid, after reaching the full data buffer levels. 

I will write here again if i get a crash again, i am not sure i wish for it! 🙂 Note the debugging is enabled, though i am not sure it will provide more clues in case of crash...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(807 Views)