LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW won't let me do ANYTHING

I am trying to work through the first tutorial on LabVIEW and in the Block Diagram, I seem to not be able to do any wiring, or even select anything. The cursor remains the default finger point cursor no matter where I point it. LabVIEW is essentially not letting me do ANYTHING the tutorial is telling me to do because of this. Am I missing something here? Is there any reason why I cannot use LabVIEW at all? By the way, I am using LabVIEW 8 if that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,453 Views)

Go to front panel or block diagram Go to view menu and select tools pallete and select automatic tool selection which is at the top. This should solve your problem if I understood your question correctlySmiley Tongue

Message 2 of 5
(4,444 Views)

It used to be that to switch tools you'd need to press the tab key. Then, the automatic tool selection was introduced. As noted in the previous reply, it sounds like you have this off. You indicated that you're using LabVIEW 8. You should be aware that back then the automatic tool selection was still a bit finicky, and somewhat unreliable. Some regulars (such as myself) tended to have it off until it improved. I predominantly use LabVIEW 8.2, and its operation is excellent, compared to the previous incarnations.

Message 3 of 5
(4,435 Views)

Thank you guys! I greatly appreciate it. I can now work everything I need 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,430 Views)

@systemcrash wrote:

Go to front panel or block diagram Go to view menu and select tools pallete and select automatic tool selection which is at the top. This should solve your problem if I understood your question correctly

Hi systemcrash,

You are definitely correct, I just wanted to add that you can use Ctrl+Shift+right-click to bring up the same menu, much like you can right click for the Controls/Functions palettes. Also, just holding Ctrl+Shift gives you the Pan cursor when you are using the automatic tool.

Regards,

Peter W.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,373 Views)