Did you mean: 

Labview slows down by pictures in frontpanel

With pictures around 12 percent

Without still around 12 percent

CPU: Core i7, 2.00ghz

GPU: Nvidea GT525M, 1gb.

Memory: 16gb

Pc is really not the problem.

The labview application is slowed down to only one or two cycles each second.

When I minimize the front panel, or go to the block diagram the program starts to run at around 500 cycles each second.

When the mouse isn't moved at the frontpanel the speed is also increasing to the expected speed.

Maybe I should make a screencapure video so I can show you how slow it is. I didn't had this problem ever before with pictures in labview...

Problem is the same on other pc's and also after making a build of it.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(851 Views)

Hmm. that's quite weird this problem. You LabVIEWcomputer is far better than my gaming PC at homeSmiley Very Happy

If you wan't to create a videocapture I recommend using Jing

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(834 Views)

I made a video of a simulation application that has got exactly the same problem:

With pictures in the VI:

http://screencast.com/t/rVgrPJ03kstU

Without pictures:

http://screencast.com/t/jHQsLKxNCdLd

As you can see the speed is increasing when the pictures are deleted. The second video has got a delay in the for loop, when this is deleted it runs even faster but that isn't necessary. The numeric indicator is attached to the loop cycle counter.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(826 Views)

I would guess the problem is with the pictures that you got under your Digital I/O and Analog I/O Type Defs.

Try to add one and one picture and see when it starts to lag. Leave the Type defs and your border without pictures and ad the other pictures. alternativly try to use the decorations under the Modern palette and see if you get the same result. If that's so the problem is because of frequent update of the whole frontpanel and not the pictures itself

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(822 Views)

The problem is only gone when all the pictures are deleted, and the original labview background is turned off. Then the loop time is completly normal again.

The problem is just very strange, it almost looks like a labview bug. When I dissable almost everything in the block diagram the problem still excists

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(818 Views)

Update: the problem is gone when I use png images at the original size. When I resize them inside labview the problems begin.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(803 Views)

If you resize them outside of LabVIEW and use them at their new native size in LabVIEW, does the probelm still exist?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(800 Views)

Tried again, the problem still excist when the picture is larger then the actual window is.

The program is than slowed down to speeds like in the video I made.

Even without anything else inside the loop.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(782 Views)

@Patrick Kerstholt wrote:

Update: the problem is gone when I use png images at the original size. When I resize them inside labview the problems begin.

Are you using a full screen sized picture as background? I wouldn't be surprised if LV's handling of the graphics, scaling and layers isn't up to par. I remember LV getting really bad performance if painting borders transparant of decorations in an old thread. I've used a rescaled "brushed metal" background without problem in an application, but the active area was a tab control, meaning it really only was 1 object to draw around.

Are you using free controls and indicators? Might it be that LV needs to check the picture redraw against all of them? The UI looks like a tabless tab-control, you could place it all in one of those and see if it solves the problem. If so, it really is the redraw against all items.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(778 Views)