cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor OPC Items with DataSocket example VI install

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to run the Monitor OPC Items with Datasocket and when I run it something is trying to get installed.  The windows installer hangs and I have to use the task manager to shut down LabVIEW.

I am using LabVIEW 2017 

Thanks

image.png

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,654 Views)

Hi Dan,

I'd like to ask a few questions to narrow down the behavior you're seeing:

1. It looks like you're using a shipping example to demonstrate this behavior -- have you modified the example at all, or is this the behavior straight out of the box?
  2. Did you just install LabVIEW on this PC for the first time? Or has it been installed for a while?
  3. Have you used DataSocket functionality on this PC before, and has it been successful?

For your reference, here's what I see when I hit the run arrow on my machine in LabVIEW 2017:

image.png

Nick

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,611 Views)

Hello Nick,

This is the example right out of the box.  No modifications.

I have had LabVIEW installed on my PC for a very long time.  I tried it in both LabVIEW 2017 and LabVIEW 2015.  Same result

I have never used DataSocket functionality.

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,599 Views)

I have a new installer message.

It just hangs at this message.  I have the LabVIEW 7.1 runtime already installed on my machine

image.png

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,597 Views)

Hi Dan,

The fact that this occurs with a basic shipping example says to me that there may be an underlying issue with your LabVIEW installation, such as some corruption that occurred when installing the DataSocket API that just hasn't been stumbled onto until now. To confirm, try running another DataSocket example, such as the Simple DataSocket example project.

If we see the same behavior there, then I think we can conclude the above. If not, we'll have to dig deeper.

As seen in this KB, DataSocket functionality is actually encapsulated in the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine. Since your screenshot specifically complains about the LabVIEW 7.1 RTE, and since it's common to your 2015 and 2017 installations, I'm inclined to start here. What's baffling to me is that your PC seems to be running Windows 10, but the LabVIEW 7.1 RTE doesn't appear to be supported on that OS -- strange, but it's totally possible that there are some dependencies behind the scenes that we're not aware of.

Let's try force-reinstalling the LabVIEW 7.1 RTE first. If that doesn't work, try doing the same to the LabVIEW 2017 RTE. This will go through and replace 100% of the files from your original RTE installation, and should root out any possible corruption at the bud.

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,581 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ASTDan

I uninstalled the LabVIEW 7.1 runtime on my machine and the example works!

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,571 Views)