cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbook suggestions?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I have seen a couple of threads regarding netbook performance, but I am still looking for further thoughts on whether a netbook (and suggestions for which one) might be appropriate for application.  I currently have a system of two instruments that are controlled via Windows using their respective controllers (8110s).  These two systems sample at high rates (250 kHz on 10 channels for one and 2.5 MHz on 8 channels for the other) but produce analyzed data at a rate of 1 Hz. 

For each instrument, I am returning about 100 to 125 double precision variables during the sampling period with the option of also returning large spectra of data.  The amount of interaction is relatively minimal as most of the parameters for acquisition are set within the software and the user is generally only monitoring signals for determining the course of experiments. 

Due to weight limitations, I will be having to using a single laptop to monitor and control the two instruments.  And because we are near the limit,literally every ounce is important (hence the netbook).  Although I haven't exactly figured out the network topology for this (in addition to the two instruments streaming data to the UI, I will also need to stream several variables from another instrument), I am beginning to think that a reasonable option would be to use a laptop to control the two instruments and collect data (either in RT or using the Windows OS).  In either case, I expect the two PXI controllers to do most of the heavy lifting in terms of the analysis while the host computer will be strictly collecting and displaying data.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this, particullarly whether this is a reasonable use of netbooks or if there might be a better solution?  Any ideas would be helpful.

Peace, Matt

Message Edited by mtat76 on 02-04-2010 02:16 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(5,674 Views)
Matt-

What are the specs for your netbook?  The other major consideration is the OS.  I know some netbooks run XP embedded or other non-full-functional OS.  National Instruments requires running the full version of either XP or 7.  I will look into this a little further and post back.
Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(5,634 Views)

Thanks, Mike.  I am actually looking to see if anyone has a suggestion or whetherr this is a bad road to go down (I am running out of time fast here).  The specs obviously depend on the netbook, but it seems that others have used an Asus and I have seen Dell minis around.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(5,630 Views)

Matt-

After further investigation, I was also cautioned about the OS (you need a full OS).  Basically, if the netbook meets the minimum system requirements highlighted in the link below, it should function properly.  Obviously, the better the laptop, the smoother it will run.  The system requirements are a guideline and a place to start.  I would also highly recommend doing the development on a different computer.  With that in mind, if you are planning on using it for all intensive purposes as an HMI, it should work well for your application. 

System Requirements for NI LabVIEW Development System and LabVIEW Modules
http://www.ni.com/labview/requirements

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(5,583 Views)

I would advise to use an embedded PC, they can run on low voltage levels and can be bought in very low weights.

We had applications running on standard netbooks (with a 'full' windows) and on embedded PCs with Windows embedded. The important thing is that you get a 'full' like windows embedded.

But do you really need the displaying of the data? Perhaps a simple LED with 4x20 characters is enough to display the results, so you can remove that part (a screen) as well.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(5,580 Views)

George P Burdell wrote:
Matt-

What are the specs for your netbook?  The other major consideration is the OS.  I know some netbooks run XP embedded or other non-full-functional OS.  National Instruments requires running the full version of either XP or 7.  I will look into this a little further and post back.

Most netbooks come with a full version of XP or 7.  I don't know of any netbooks that run XP embedded.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(5,564 Views)

Not so sure whether the Netbooks running Windows 7 are running the "full version". I was looking to buy one as a Christmas present and seem to recall reading that MicroSoft is making the netbook manufacturers use a reduced version. Just a recollection, that was from late at night in a hotel room in the weeks before Christmas, so take it with a grain of salt. Not to mention that in this industry things change on a daily basis.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(5,547 Views)

LV_Pro wrote:

Not so sure whether the Netbooks running Windows 7 are running the "full version". I was looking to buy one as a Christmas present and seem to recall reading that MicroSoft is making the netbook manufacturers use a reduced version. Just a recollection, that was from late at night in a hotel room in the weeks before Christmas, so take it with a grain of salt. Not to mention that in this industry things change on a daily basis.

I guess when you talk about Windows 7 "full version" symantics play a huge role.  The full version of the desktop OS Windows 7 would probably be "Ultimate" since that contains the full set of Windows 7 features.  When I used the term loosly, I was trying to emphasize that Netbooks do not run embedded Windows which is something entirely different from desktop Windows.

What Microsoft and OEMs seem to be including in Netbooks is something they call Windows 7 Starter Edition.  From http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/starter.aspx

Windows 7 Starter puts less between you and what you want to do—less waiting, less clicking, less hassle connecting to networks. Windows 7 Starter combines the latest in reliability and responsiveness with the familiarity and compatibility of Windows.

My understanding of the "Starter" edition is that they limit how many applications can be running simultaneously, but there are no real limitations on what kind of applications you run.  I think that compiled LabVIEW applications and even a full version of the LabVIEW development suite should be able to run w/o any artificial OS limitations (I'm pretty sure).  Just don't expect to have a Web Browser and email open at the same time ;).

Also, there are no limitations on what version of Windows you can upgrade to.  You can upgrade your netbook to Windows 7 Ultimate if you want.  I'm not sure if 64bit is supported on a netbook yet.  If it has the Intel Atom processor, then only 32bit Windows.  If it has the new i3 processor, then I think it supports 64bit.

Message Edited by Nickerbocker on 02-08-2010 12:33 PM
Message 8 of 21
(5,531 Views)

Thank you all.  Here are a few responses to some of your thoughts:

Ton - the unfortunate aspect of this is that we currently need the dislays.  Althought the system could run even headless, the displays are required as they guide the immediate direction of the work that we are trying to do.  And for those who are interested - we are sampling particulate matter using an inlet in a plane to determine how the particles respond to different wavelenghts of life (i.e. how much they absorb or reflect).  The idea is that if we travel through a plume, the properties we are measuring will change and we can request that the plane backtrack.

Mike - the development of the software is all but complete.  Due to the fact that there were some engineering decisions put off until the last minute, I am currently trying to figure out the best route to take such that I can still drive two different instruments, see their outputs and minimize the weight required for the system.  There is a PXI chassis for each instrument, but I would like to run these chasses off of a single display.  Monitors themselves tend to be relatively heavy (even the small ones) - add in a keyboard, kvc switch and a mouse and we are quickly approaching 10 lbs.  A small notebook or netbook can easily come in at much less than this and also provides some portability (a benefit).  

And based on what Nickerbocker has said, it seems as if LV will run off of a netbook.  As I said before, this computer will have to do only a minimum (display and write) as most of the horsepower required is taken on by the PXI chasses.

Peace, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(5,508 Views)
Solution
Accepted by cirrusio

I have one of the older ASUS EEEpc's (1000h), which shipped with a version of XP Home.  However, I've run XP Pro, Vista Home Premium, and the Windows 7 RC on this laptop without issue.  Typical specs on a netbook (last I checked) are a ~1.6GHz dual core Intel Atom CPU and typically 1gb of RAM.

If you're limiting the processing load on the netbook it probably won't have an issue handling what you throw at it. You could speed things up by adding more (and faster or higher quality) RAM, turning off the OS eyecandy in Windows Vista/7, disabling unused hardware (bluetooth, wifi, etc), and by using a solid-state HD...

Once you've identified a likely candidate netbook, you might google search for benchmarks/reviews (Newegg and Amazon usually have decent user reviews, Toms Hardware and other tech sites may have more official reviews/benchmarks). Graphics processing is usually where these laptops struggle, but all-in-all they are surprisingly capable machines.

Good luck! 

Message 10 of 21
(5,491 Views)