LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running LabVIEW app as Windows Service - Win7

Ok so do all reg edits in the batch file then?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,056 Views)

I don't know srvany (I used srvstart) so I don't know what registry edits it requires, sorry!

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,052 Views)

As I stated in an earlier post, srvany.exe adds a registry key. If you run the batch file before you run srvany.exe, the batch file will try to update an registry key that does not exist. 

I personally verified this, as if you try to manually create a windows service using srvany.exe, and you try to edit the registry key first, that specific key does not exist. If you try it yourself, you should notice the same. 

Message 13 of 16
(1,024 Views)

Ok, so I've run and tested my setup.exe and the batch sets up the services without issue.  

But my next question is how do I package all of this into a single executable?  I've got BitRock and this doesn't seem to be as intuitive as I was hoping.  As you all know, LabVIEW installation after the build is in that Volue folder with about 25 different folders with various .msi.  In order to push to machines, naturally this needs to be just one executable and not a bunch of different files that people would need to load and what not.  Do I zip it first and then try to package into an executable?  Is there a white paper somewhere on this?  I promise, I am doing my research.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(993 Views)

What do you mean you've run and tested your setup.exe - is that the output of your installer build specification or have you made a LV executable called setup.exe?

You could:

1) Zip up the Volume folder and tell your client to unzip and run the installer

2) Create a self-extracting executable that basically just zips your installer (and all of it's folders/files) into a single executable and configure it to run the Setup.msi after extracting

3) The Deploy toolkit has lots of functionality built into it for creating single-file installers based on InnoSetup. It also has lots of other features like automatically uploading the files to the cloud and you can have it notify that a new version is available.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(988 Views)

I mean I copied the Volume folder and all its contents to a Windows machine with no LabVIEW history and ran the setup.exe within the Volume folder.  That's the default name for a LabVIEW installer executable.  Not the application executables.

2 is probably the route I want to go and was thinking about doing.  But that deploy toolkit sounds interesting as well and I will look into that.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(983 Views)