From 11:00 PM CDT Friday, May 10 – 02:30 PM CDT Saturday, May 11 (04:00 AM UTC – 07:30 PM UTC), ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger

Attached is a program I wrote to generate and acquire signals and write the acquired voltage values to a text file. I would like to use a trigger to start recording my acquired signal (and eventually, I would like to use the same trigger to write the generated signal, so that the generated and acquired signals are synchronized); however, as the program is now, every time I try to run a test, I continue to get an error message related to the analog trigger. Physically, I have a live wire hooked up to PFI 0/AI START TRIG (pin #11 on my E-Series SCB-68), but no return wire.

(1) Is the trigger in the right place in the program to do what I want?
(2) Do I need a return wire in addition to the live wire for the analog trigger?

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,305 Views)

I think you need to establish the trigger before you start the tasks.

I think you want to start the analog input before you start the analog output.

There are numerous DAQmx examples that also include triggering the  Example Finder that should help you.

I don't know what you mean be "return wire".  Is it a virtual wire on the block diagram, or a real world copper wire connecting to your DAQ device.

Message 2 of 3
(2,275 Views)

Thanks for the advice. I have done some work modifying my code (attached). I have it set up with an optional trigger, though I don't know if I actually need it. In answer to your question: I meant real-world copper wires. I have a live wire running to port PFI 0 on my connector block,  but no "return wire" or D GND wire connected. Is this the correct configuration to use the digital trigger? Also, my program starts recording (writing to text) when I run the program, but is there a way I can easily pad my signal on the front end, so that I can see the first deflections in my generated and received voltage signals? I had one idea, which was to write pre-trigger samples, but I'm pretty sure in order to do that, I would need to actually use the digital trigger. Is there a way of doing this wihout a trigger? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,211 Views)