LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PTP for synchronizing 2 PXI chassis

Hello,

I am currently working with LabVIEW RT on a PXI Chassis (Real TIME Pharlap OS).

The controller installed on the PXI chassis is a NI PXIe 8135.

For my project, I am using my PXI chassis as a reference Time in 2 different situations:

-First: I am searching to synchronize an other PXI chassis Real TIme with my original chassis using PTP (same configuration on both chassis)

Is that possible to use NI PXIe 8135 to realize PTP synchronisation or do we need additional hardware card to complete that task?

I also have an NI PXI 6683H card which seems to have PTP function.

Is there any example of labVIEW which provides such a PTP communication between 2 real Time PXI chassis (OS Pharlap)

Thank for your help.

KaiserJJ

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,518 Views)

Hello,

You need not program this functionality nor have additional hardware. PTP is an ethernet based time synchronisation protocol, so hardware wise you only need an ethernet port with which the devices are on the same network.

The steps to setup PTP synchronisation is to install on your host machine NI TimeSync given below:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-timesync-15.0/5377/en/

Next install TimeSync on the PXI RT Controllers through NI MAX, after which under the PXI RT Controllers in NI MAX select Time Settings and enable TimeSync 1588/PTP. At this stage both PXI Controllers will detect each other over the network with Announce Messages, decide which has the most accuracte clock (if they are the same the one with the lowest MAC address is selected as the master), then this will become the master.

If you want to specify the master manually, set the User Priority 1 in the NI MAX Time Settings tab for the controller to be master to be lower than the value on the other controller.

Message 2 of 2
(3,232 Views)